Connect with us

Type of relay

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Gremlin10, Dec 20, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Gremlin10


    Dec 20, 2014
    I'm making a wireless locking system for my car, got a wireless remote which toggles an output on-off. My locking motor has to wires which when reversed reverses the direction, I'm going to have a simple PTM on the outside of the car somewhere handy to lock it, and use the wireless remote to unlock it only, so I need a relay or circuit that will reverse the 12V feed and earth to the motor when fed with 2 different inputs
  2. Harald Kapp

    Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

    Nov 17, 2011
    Welcome to electronicspoint.

    You'll need a DPST (double pole double throw) relay. Connect it in the same fashion as shown here for a switch.
    Note that tinkering with your car's lock may void your insurance's liability in case of theft!
  3. Colin Mitchell

    Colin Mitchell

    Aug 31, 2014
    You will need 2 relays. One to provide power to the second relay and the second relay to provide the forward/reverse to the motor.
  4. Harald Kapp

    Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

    Nov 17, 2011
    Right - unless the motor has an automatic, direction sensitive limit switch.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day