Connect with us

two way switch wiring help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by robertbiferi, Jun 8, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. robertbiferi

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
    I need some help on wireing with a Light that has two switchs.

I know the Red Wire connects both switchs togather this is the Travler Wire.

But I have a Plastic Switch Box so no Ground goes to the BOX but does any Ground go to the switch?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    What do you want the 2 switches to do?

Are they both to be used for turning the light on/off (i.e. either performs the function) as in light switches at the top and bottom of stairs?

If so, LMGTFY.

3. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    You've got the terminology right, the 'traveller' is the red wire. This circuit is very common
    for wiring two switches, one to enter a room at one end, and exit the room on the other
    side of it.
    Google it, and you should easily find the circuit. Any household wiring book will show
    it also. You don't have to buy the book, just find one in a home improvement store,
    and look it up.

4. robertbiferi

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
    thanks but

OK I sould have ask like this.

One switch is at Top and Bottom of Staires.
    And they both work one Light.

And I know the wireing but one thing.

If you have a Metal Box that the switch is in one ground wire goes to the Box it's self I know this.

But if the Box is Plastic then any ground wire will just go from the grounding Nut to the other Switchs grounding Nut am I right?

5. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    Everybody uses plastic 'gang' boxes anymore cause they're cheaper. If you're in the States, Electrical code would require (probably) 14-2 wire (14 gauge-2 conductor), but also (maybe 14-3 for your traveller)
    inside that romex insulator jacket, will be the (uninsulated) ground wire. It doesn't matter that the box is plastic, ALL those uninsulated grounding wires have to be connected
    to one another (and it's actually 'grounded' to a pipe outside the house).
    So if I'm understanding you, the answer is 'yes'.
    All the ground wires connect to the on-off switch grounding screw (usually green), and also to the
    uninsulated grounding wires in the box. Safety requirement.
    Did I make sense?

6. robertbiferi

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
    I am sure I know how it goes is there a way I can atatch a photo here so you can see?
    I made id a jpg

7. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    Ground should have nothing to do with current-carrying duty on mains wiring, that's reserved for the Live & Neutral conductors.
    Metal boxes needs to be grounded - for them to be safe. Plastic boxes can't be grounded of course - but has to be able to pass on the ground wiring to other items/outlets.
    Click on "Go Advanced" below to get access to an Attachments icon. Make sure the picture is not much bigger than 100kB and 1024 x 768 pixels.

8. duke37

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
    In the UK, the bare wire in the cable is used for the earth (ground). It must be sleeved inside any box with yellow/green sleeving. An earth must be taken to any light fitting in case they have a metal case so that a fluorescent fitting or crystal chandelier is earthed.
    All earth wires go back to the fuse box and all pipes, water and gas and kitchen sink must also be earthed so that there is a common earth potential inside the house.
    Work such as this in the UK would need to be done by a qualified electrician.

9. robertbiferi

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
    thanks but

I don't see the Advanced Tab how do I upload a photo?

10. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Click on "Go Advanced" it's just to the right of the "Post Quick Reply" button.

Then you'll get a number of other tools including a tool which allows you to attach files.

11. robertbiferi

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
    thanks but

I put my photo up is it right?

Attached Files:

12. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    The picture shows up all-right (though it would only needed to have been 400 x 700 pixels), but the symbols are completely unfamiliar to me. Makes no sense to me.

13. robertbiferi

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
    thanks but

Let me just ask this first?

If you have a Matel Box you have one Ground wire going to to Box it's self and screw onto it.

If you have a Plastic Bix the Ground wire would go to the switch it's self?

I ask becasu when you look on the web not one how to place shows you the ground ever going to the switch it's self?

14. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    On an otherwise insulated switch in a plastic box there would be a terminal (on the switch) designated for grounding, but it would not be connected inside the switch.
    In other words, in a plastic housing it would just be a blind terminal meant to enable the continuance of the ground wiring to other points along the wiring route.
    It's only neccessary to connect ground to accessible conductive objects.

15. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    In Australia you will find no earth wires behind light switches.

This isn't relevant to anyone else, but I find it curious how wiring standards differ around the world.

16. shrtrnd

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
    What is so difficult to understand?
    Run a short wire from the switch green ground screw to the wire nut that has all the other
    ground wires in your plastic box.
    If you don't do that, and you're in the States, and your house burns down, the insurance
    company is going to find a way to deny payment because your electrical switch
    wasn't properly grounded.

17. robertbiferi

robertbiferi

Jan 16, 2011
    wireing help

Is there a good webite for showing you how wireing sould be connected?

Say Light Switch and Outlets I think I know but I would like to have a good website to check with?

18. conductor3

conductor3

Jun 7, 2011
    i cant help with the website but i can give a diagram...........................................................ok have one at the bottom of the stairs and the other at the top with both switced the same way when walking up turn the closest switch the other way the light turns on climb up switch the other it will turn off going down just do the same thing wire the out to the light like you where wireing on switch

Attached Files:

Ask a Question