Connect with us

Twin camera joiner

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by ScottB5, Oct 4, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. ScottB5


    Oct 4, 2012
    If this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move.

    I'm not sure if this is something I can build, buy or if its even possible.
    Not sure if I'm trying to run before I can walk of if I'm getting it round the wrong way but here goes.

    I've recently converted my dash from a single din to a double din dash which means I can fit the standard double din stereo with Screen and Video input.

    The idea I've been toying with is fitting two cameras in the front bumper.
    Like the BMW and Range Rover's have.

    Fitting the cameras and wiring them to the head unit is not a problem.
    The issue I have is trying to get the screen to display 1 split screen image from 2 camera.
    There are head units that can do this but I much prefer the standard Audi system and there are video joiners out there but they tend to be massive 240V CCTV units. I've found some 12v smaller units for cars but they are just camera control systems. You select which camera is displayed on the screen.

    I don't really have any idea how to start making such a box or if its possible.

    Has any one got any ideas or able to help please?

  2. donkey


    Feb 26, 2011
    as you may have seen already in the commecial products, when you split a camera up you usually get 4 screens. this is a ratio issue. you can find items that cost around $200 and do home surveillance that splits the cameras up for you. some of these run of a walwart which down the voltage to around 12volt anyway. shows an example and with a little tweaking will be ready for your 2 front cameras. hope this helps
  3. ScottB5


    Oct 4, 2012
    The ratio is not a issue really.
    As long as it fits, I'm happy.

    I've looked at units like that but I feel its to bulky and waste when I need something simpler.

    I keep looking for information and I'm not sure what to call them. I call them joiners but I don't think that's right.
Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day