Connect with us

tv power cable

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by vlowe, Aug 13, 2012.

1. vlowe

vlowe

Dec 15, 2011
    Hi,

I am just mouting an led tv to the wall and the power cable is too short, i managed to find a 5 metre cable online.

The cable that came with the samsung tv is a right angled figure of 8 power cable and the longer cable i sourced online is straight.

To get it flush with the wall i need to use the right angled plug so i wondered how safe it is to splice these two cables together so i can keep the right angled plug and give it the 5m length?

Will i require any specific quality of connector?

2. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    Not very safe.
    I have fixed broken extension cords and power cords.
    The best luck I had was to separate the connections up and down the length of the so they cannot short against each other and wrap the in excess amounts of electrical tape. But I don't thinks that is same either. The wires can still be pulled apart with ease and the tape will still pass mop water or other spilled liquids. I never felt comfortable leaving the house with a questionable connection like this powered up. And besides it is ugly with all that big bundle of electrical tape wrapped around the cord that won't sit flush against the wall.
    I would use a short extension cord or find a longer power cord.

3. Alchymist

Alchymist

Apr 16, 2011
    If you must splice, stagger the joints, solder, heat shrink over each solder joint, and HS over the pair with the type of HS that has a meltable adhesive in it.

4. GreenGiant

GreenGiant

Feb 9, 2012
    You can use electrical tape, I know in my area so long as the tape is wrapped enough to match or exceed the original casing's thickness its legal to use in walls and stuff, so Im sure that would be fine to use, wouldnt look the prettiest but it would work

5. Alchymist

Alchymist

Apr 16, 2011
    You won't find electrical tape over splices in my walls. In fact, NEC prohibits splices in walls for electrical circuits (not audio, cable, etc, but electrical).

6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    True .... likewise

electrical tape adhesive will just dry out with time and it will unravell ... pretty dangerous at mains voltage I wouldnt consider anything but heatshrink tubing if I really have to splice the cables

Dave

Last edited: Aug 13, 2012
  7. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    IMO no splice should ever be sealed in a wall, worst case install a pull box and do the splice inside that so it's accessible...

BTW I have installed many flat screens using 1 1/2" or 2" PVC as a 'shoot' from behind the TV to the rest of the components, the large size PVC allows you to pass the plugs without issue to an outlet out of sight... *Technically not legal in many areas but just the same...

I beg to differ, a properly done splice can be very safe, arguably as safe as it was originally... Stagger the cuts so that you don't end up with a big budge in one area...

[​IMG]

Twist the wires together and solder them into one, solid core can be hooked before twisting, see NASA example below...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cover each specific wire with heat shrink that extends well past the splice and onto the existing isolation... Example if your splice is 1" long use at minimum 2" of heat shrink so that it extends 1/2" onto existing isolation..

Then cover the entire splice with one large heat shrink that extends well past all the smaller individual wires that have been heat shrunk...

Even NASA allows splices, and they go into great detail on how to do it properly...
    http://www.hq.nasa.gov/office/codeq/doctree/87394.pdf

Using self gluing and sealing heat shrink improves the safety margin as well as will using double walled heat shrink...

Also use a heat gun at the minimum setting needed to shrink the tube so that you don't scorch or burn it, as that will destroy it's elasticity and flexibility...

The thing to note is that splices are certainly look down upon and illegal in many circumstances, but that doesn't equate to a properly done one being unsafe...

BTW, NEVER EVER depend on electrical tape to cover a splice long term, it will dry up and fail, no and ifs or butts about it, IMO it should never be considered or used as a permanent isolation replacement, heat shrink tubing is light years ahead in all respects...

Attached Files:

8. Alchymist

Alchymist

Apr 16, 2011
    The splice you pictured is referred to as a "Western Union" splice. Pretty much what I advocated in a previous post. Let me reiterate though - not for power wiring, especially in walls and ceilings, etc. As to power cords, getting the right power cord is usually cheap and easy, so why splice and reduce reliability, even when the cord is exposed and readily visually inspected. Why?

9. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    This seems like a whole lot of fuss over something that can be rectified with a good extension cord.

10. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    true

And I must also point out the Op NEVER said anything about joining wires within the wall

He has a power cable from the TV that has a right angle plug on it, this is so that the plug doesnt stick way out from the wall socket. He has a 5m extension power lead that he bought but it has a straight plug so sticks out from the wall further.

to the OP --- BUY a right angle plug, chop the straight plug off the extension lead and replace it with the right angle plug .... NO splicing is needed !! :)
    simple .... end of story :)

Dave

11. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    I'm guessing that the TV jack is an HP type male, like on a PC. I've never seen an HP right angle female that isn't molded. That doesn't mean they don't exist though. ;)

12. Axel87

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
    WOW! No no no on the splice.
    Do you want to risk burning down the house for the lack of $12?
    I realize some of these guys are saying it is safe to splice, but IMO thats a huge no!
    For a crappy extension cord for in the garage temporirly? Yes thats fine. But to put in the wall for years to come? No!
    Check this out- http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10425&cs_id=1042513&p_id=8475&seq=1&format=2

This is precicly what you need. It will allow room for your HDMI and power plugs. Trick will be to cut this box in 1: Dont hit a stud, of course 2: Placing box behind the power jack on the tv.
    Measure twice- Cut once!

13. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    To be clear, I never advocated or will advocate a splice be concealed in a wall... But I will argue any day that done properly a splice is every bit as safe as any other connection...

14. Axel87

Axel87

Aug 18, 2012
    I agree that the connection of the splice is secure, with that knot and soldering and proper shrink. But as we all know its not the splice that will break, its before or after.
    Is that murphy? O wait. lol

15. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I would argue all day that the plug/socket or entry into a housing is the most prone place of failure...

16. CDRIVE

May 8, 2012
    Absolutely, undoubtedly, inarguably, definitely and positively true. During my many years in Marine Electronics service I replaced countless mic cables. So much so that I ran out of stock many times. Yes, I wasn't the best bookkeeper. Fact is, I wasn't the best shop keeper either. I had three door signs "Open", "Closed" and "Gone Diving". Oddly enough most of my customers found nothing odd about it.

Anyway, back to the mic cables. If we were out of stock and the customer rolled into the parking lot with boat in tow .. needing it now, I repaired them. Despite the constant pulling on a coiled mic cable the intermittent or solid break was always located near the strain relief entering the plug or the mic. More often at the plug though.

Chris

17. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    My brothers shop, reads "Usually Late, Sometimes Closed" directly under the store hours :) Most people get a chuckle when they actually bother reading it...

Ask a Question