Connect with us

tv has power but blank screen and no sound

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Russell, Nov 15, 2010.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Russell

Russell

Nov 15, 2010
    the tv screen just blinked off while i was watching it and it has no sound. I have it apart but not real familiar with tv repair and have no schematics on it. Green power on led comes on and something on the circuit board is making a high pitch humming sound. its a phillips maganavox model number 27tsc6 2102 manufactured in october of 1994.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2010
  2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Does it show any signs of life? Could it be the fuse? What types of electronic repair are you familiar with?

3. Russell

Russell

Nov 15, 2010
    the power light comes on but absolutely nothing on the screen and no sound other than the high pitched buzzing on the board. it does make the clicking sound like it usually does when it comes on but that is all. I checked the fuse and it ohms out and voltage reads on both sides.

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    What types of electronic repair are you familiar with?

5. Russell

Russell

Nov 15, 2010
    not much really i am an electrician though so i have knowledge of electricity and most of its components.

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    The first thing to check is the power supply.

If you are lucky, it will be a fairly obvious discrete module with voltages marked on the outputs.

Measure those (taking the same sort of precautions you'd normally take with live equipment) and see what you get. Also see if there is anything that looks obviously "wrong" (charred components for example).

7. way2aware

way2aware

Jun 17, 2011
    Well, just thought maybe you might really appreciate hearing this a year after [you likely figured out the problem]...
    But it sounds a bit like a flyback transformer issue {the high pitched whine or squeal}...
    If you have all ready got this issue taken care of, would you mind sharing the results?
    THX

Ask a Question