Connect with us

TV Camera project

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Gramps, Dec 26, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Gramps

Gramps

Dec 26, 2012
    Hello!
    Building an all tube TV camera.
    Recently we acquired a Toshiba 140CYB31 CRT to use as the monitor.
    The tube came out of a heart defibrillator that went to the recycle dump before I could look at it. Have Google-d to no avail. Can anyone point me in the right direction to find the pin-out and specs?
    Thanks, Gramps

2. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    All tube? You mean a camera with a TV on it? Not possilbe without the tube board. Sorry, you have to have the board that was originally on the CRT. Its because the manufacturer tunes the ray tube to the board, after the board(I think its called a VerticalLinearRectifier VLR?) its not recommended to build your own because of the fine adjustments that are nessesary to make a clear image. sorry for the bad news.

3. Relayer

Relayer

Dec 15, 2012
    I hope you kept the deflection yoke?
    If not, throw the tube away.
    Regards,
    Relayer :D

4. donkey

donkey

Feb 26, 2011
    another thing is that the defib crt might be green and black (or avariation) might not be best for camera

5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    and still one has to ask .... why even bother, when modern cameras are so readily available these days for just a few $$$ ????

Dave

6. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    not sorry, worried about you

there are major differences between camera interfaces and tube attachments!
    OK you are probably a great tech! so here I go again!

The ccd cameras used as security system input devices, are fairly easy to use, especially if they are wireless, and the reciever has RCA jack outputs for a monitor or TV. All you would be required to supply would be a TV, and 110v of AC, and of course the camera.

building a camera with a TV monitor is a different story. One of the major benchmarks of the TV Camera was the building of an interface to contain the miniature screen.

Cameras were cameras and tv's were tv's.

I read somewhere that building your own is great porject, but not to get your hopes up, because there are so many different types of interfaces in and out of the system.

So what exactly did you have in mind for the camera? (ICONIC tubes were the rage of the heyday in home video cameras) They use a CCD sensor powered by a tube amp.

The new 1/3" digital CMOS are not too bad, but they are not as clear if they have a set focus lens. focus is a big thing to concider due to the fact that digital signals are not really all that stable and decoding them takes over 1000 lines of code.

if you are just goofing around in the electronics shop think of this:
    Radio signals run everything today, from your pc disk drive, to your phones, and if you add the fact that cellular antennae are springing up everywhere, building something like a camera connected to a TV is kind of illogical!
    I hooked up an aluminum funnel to a transistor radio, and a set of freqency attenuation coils over a ground plain, and powered it with a 9v battery.
    I created a 6' ball of radiowaves that began with an electrical bolt, and then expanded to 6 feet in diameter, then collapsed. Scared me to death... well I still have problems with my hair....and everytime I hear something like... I wanna build a TV camera out of a defib monitor and a iphone, I get shivers!

7. Gramps

Gramps

Dec 26, 2012
    Thank you so much for all the input!
    In the good ol’ days, vacuum tubes and diodes were the only active elements available to accomplish amazing feats of electronic magic. Sad to say that day has passed, where you could actually see and touch the components .
    The new digital black boxes now do a thousand times more at a millionth the power consumption.
    In May 1966, Popular Electronics featured the Conar 800 TV Camera kit. How I wanted to build one, but priced at $200 (worth $1200 in today’s money), it was way out of my reach.
    Several months ago the plans for the Conar Camera were discovered at: Southwest Museum of Engineering Communications and Computation.
    http://www.smecc.org/conar_800_camera_manual_and_instructions_smecc.htm
    The museum’s director, Ed Sharpe, kindly opened the Conar 800 on display, and posted photos of the PCBs so we could reproduce them.
    We also wanted an all-tube monitor to mount on top the camera.
    That’s where the Toshiba 5 inch 140CYB31 CRT comes in. We’re hoping it’s black & white (haven’t lit it yet) and yes, we did get the focus coils with it.
    A EUW-25 Heathkit Oscilloscope will supply the monitor’s electronics. So now we need the specs for the CRT so we can match’em up.
    Someone posted the pin-out on another site but didn’t give a reference where they found it. Any help in finding the specs will be greatly appreciated!
    Gramps.

8. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    Decompiling circuits

got an idea....

get the pinout numbers off the toshiba board and start on the driver side ... wire the monitor to the board instead of the board to the monitor !!!!!:D

9. electricianrar

electricianrar

Jan 2, 2013
  10. Gramps

Gramps

Dec 26, 2012
  11. Gramps

Gramps

Dec 26, 2012
    Thanks electricianrar for the suggested sites. Yes, we already have been there.
    Gramps

12. tedstruk

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
    Killer Kamera....

Good luck gramps.

personally I have 3 icon tube cameras, and I used to study the protocols NTSC, and learned RLE, and flyback bit blitting.
    :rolleyes:

Good luck gramps.

13. electricianrar

electricianrar

Jan 2, 2013
Ask a Question