Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tutorial on general specs

Bert

Nov 22, 2011
Hey I'm new to building circuits and microcontrollers and I'm attempting to put one together but I'm having trouble with all the options when it comes to picking out parts. I'm trying to make a microcontroller that is powered and connected to my computer via usb port (it will always stay tethered) and just controls a bunch of digital pots and relays, but just picking out a usb connector is proving overwhelming. If I want to plug everything into a breadboard first to test it out, what kind of mounting type do I want? Do I want board lock? What is a flange? Lol, is there a tutorial on all these specs somewhere?

Thanks,
Bert

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Talking about the USB connector's specifically, you may need to mount one on a small PCB and either have some pins soldered into it to plug into the breadboard, or use flying leads.

It may be easiest to use a B style USB connector. They're pretty big (and so easier to solder) and if you're anything like me you will have a surplus of USB cables with B plugs on the end. The other option is a microUSB socket, but you may find they're mostly SMD and small fiddly things.

Bert

Nov 22, 2011
Alright thanks. Is there a way to figure this stuff out without wasting a bunch of money or asking every time?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Experience is the teacher.

Keep asking.