Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Turning old TVs into Monitors

Drexler09

Nov 9, 2015
Hi All,

I just have a quick question,

I have about 10 old TVs that use AV ports to produce sound and video. Is there a way to connect all the screens to one laptop and allow each TV to turn into a monitor. I know there are splitter cables that run AV to HD but I'm not sure how I would control all the screens from one laptop. Also, Each TV would be displaying a different video.

Thanks.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
I suppose the quick answer is "yes" if you have a dedicated recording studio or a NEWS room.
But, a laptop generally has an "output" for video siganals (external monitor). So all TV's would show the laptops screen.
You could try and connect all the TV's to a multi channel CCTV device/recorder/dvr that has usb connection.

Martin

Drexler09

Nov 9, 2015
@Martaine2005 Would all the monitors connect into the multi channel through AV cables?

Once I get it all working with the multi channel will I just be able to drag each of the videos onto the monitors?

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
The inputs for that type of equipment are typically RCA or BNC. BNC being more common these days.
The laptop would be able to display all TV's as if they were cameras.
*I have never tried this* but cannot see a reason why it wouldn't work.
You would need scart to RCA and then an RCA to BNC adapter. Or make your own cables.
This obviously depends on the outputs the TV has. But as you mentioned older TV's, probably scarts or S-Video.
Once I get it all working with the multi channel will I just be able to drag each of the videos onto the monitors?
No. Just view them all on the laptop.

images
upload_2015-11-12_4-25-11.jpeg

Martin

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hmm, I will try this in the morning. I have a few DVR's doing nothing...

Martin

Drexler09

Nov 9, 2015
okay thanks, If I can't drag the videos to each of the monitors from the laptop (each of the videos would just be playing through quicktime player, having 10 videos open on the laptop) how will I be able to choose which video goes on each monitor.

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
how will I be able to choose which video goes on each monitor.

you cannot put more than one video out the composite video port on the laptop ( if it has one)
you would need a fast USB or network link to a unit external to the laptop that would take that data link and display separately ... offhand, I don't know anything that can do that

wait till Martin comes back with any comments on his experimenting

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Ok, I have made a real mess here with wires, adapters, vga converters, s-video, wireless 2.4ghz, rca, scarts, dvr, and of course an old portable black and white tv. Sorry I don't have ten tv's.
YES, in my living room!! No wonder the wife left me!!
Bottom line is it works!:) In many configurations even wireless.
I was also able to record/capture the tv signals too with the cheap (£4.00) EasyCap usb device.
Naturally, there wasn't a signal from the tv, so a digibox was used.
My setup had only one active picture and the other 8 were blank/black.

But this is all "one way traffic" to the laptop.
You cannot "send" a signal to each tv. It's a case of 'wysiwyg' from the tv's to the laptop.

If you want to send different signals to different monitors, you will need to spend £ thousands on professional equipment used by news rooms and editors.
As Dave said, only one signal can be "sent" from the laptop.
I knew it would work!, I just wanted to make a mess:p

Martin