Connect with us

Turbine to 12 V battery to USB port

Discussion in 'Power Electronics' started by gek, May 10, 2013.

1. gek

gek

May 10, 2013
    Hello all,

I'm a new user and I have a little bit of knowledge, which is clearly the most dangerous.

When browsing the internet I stumbled across this: http://store.kidwind.org/wind-energ...arts-to-build-a-turbine/high-torque-generator

It's a turbine generator. Assuming I could correctly and functionally attach this to a window box fan (which would be the blades of the turbine, run off wind into my apartment) to generate power. Would it be possible to then charge a 12 V battery which in turn could be used to charge my phone via USB?

I'm assuming the turbine could be hooked directly to the battery to charge it. I have a breadboard and should just need the appropriate resistors/capacitors to get the right current and voltage needed for the USB port from the 12 V battery, correct?

I hope this makes sense and I'm in the right forum!

Best,
    Gek

2. DuctDuck

DuctDuck

Jan 26, 2013
    I am not sure there is enough torque or current for you application.

But, you can use some simple regulators to...
    -set max trickle charge to battery (<0.5A...maybe 80% to prolong dynamo/turbine life)
    -set max charging voltage to battery (1.5V>Vbattery rating)

Batteries get hot during charge cycles (and sometimes when discharging :)).

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    That generator you linked to says...
    You are not going to do much towards charging a phone with that, you would likely not even be able to maintain the battery when the phone is on after all is said and done...

4. gek

gek

May 10, 2013
    Thanks for the posts guys! USB's are 5V at what amperage? I'll have to read into what gearing ratios can help me accomplish. This was really just a side experiment because I decided to hold off a year on a 3D printer.

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    The USB as a data port specifications calls for a range of about 500mA to 900mA...

USB charge ports are up to or in the 5000mA top range, with most of the new smart phones wanting about 1500-1800mA for a normal 'fast' charge... They will still generally charge at the lower 500mA and up current but it will be SLOW...

6. gek

gek

May 10, 2013
    thanks again! this short thread has been valuable knowledge wise. I'll likely peruse more often and come back in the future.

7. glewis721

glewis721

Apr 30, 2013
    The USB port and cell phone need 5v not 12.

8. CDRIVE

CDRIVE Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3

May 8, 2012
    What you're describing is not charging anything via USB. Just because a cell phone uses a USB type connector to charge it doesn't make the charging source a USB source. Restated: A USB jack, plug, cable does not a USB make.

Yes, I'm being picky about terms. :D

Chris

Ask a Question