Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tumble Dryer Capacitor

Simon Ledden

Nov 15, 2020
I need to change the capacitor on my hoover condenser tumble dryer. It says to discharge it by rubbing against the drum, as there is no space to get a screwdriver in there. How do you discharge a capacitor in this way when it has insulated connectors? Crapping myself at the mo.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Not a good idea to discharge any cap with a screwdriver or short.
Best use a 1k5 5w resistor with a couple of leads soldered on the ends.
Naturally power off and plug pulled out of the wall socket.

What makes you think the cap needs replacement.??

On the other hand, if it is defective, it should have zero charge anyhow.
All a bit up-in-the-air fault .......

dave9

Mar 5, 2017
?? You pull the connectors off first, then as bluejets stated, connect a high ohm resistor between the contacts.

However, this is not really necessary. It's only going to be at line voltage if any voltage is present, not going to arch a significant distance. Simply do not touch the contacts, handle by the metal case and if extra paranoid, wear insulating gloves. Once it is removed, you have no space constraints to deal with it.

Harald Kapp

Nov 17, 2011
Before you start swapping components, make sure all the wiring is correct, firmly connected, screws tight, no wires broken. Also check the windings of the motor for continuity, see if any fuses are o.k.

upaceme2

Jul 13, 2020
Sounds to me like the centrifugal switch on the motor is stuck open to the motor run winding. Hold the door switch closed,start the dryer and turn the drum by hand. If the motor takes off and the drum turns, the switch is stuck. The switch closes to the start winding when the motor stops, opens to the run winding when the motor slings the switch open while running. Lint is usually the culprit.

Technomaniac

Oct 31, 2020
Did have a tumble dryer which used a paper composition circle around the edge of the opening as a bearing for the front of the drum. As it wore, the friction increased. Removed the paper "bearing", rotated it 180 degrees so the worn part was at the top, and good for another several years until the mechanical timer failed.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
I need to change the capacitor on my hoover condenser tumble dryer. It says to discharge it by rubbing against the drum, as there is no space to get a screwdriver in there. How do you discharge a capacitor in this way when it has insulated connectors? Crapping myself at the mo.
You rarely need to discharge those start capacitors, if you are worried just make sure you don't contact the two connection leads if they are stake-on connectors.
M.

Technomaniac

Oct 31, 2020
If the hum is in fact from the motor, make sure the drum can be easily turned by hand, and if so, the motor is likely kaput. As suggested above, the centrifugal switch needs inspection. Worst-case scenario, the start winding has burned.