Connect with us

Trying to locate a 3.5mm driver

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Spartacus72BC, Mar 26, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Spartacus72BC

Spartacus72BC

Mar 26, 2013
    I'm very new to anything electronic and trying to track down where to purchase
    this particular part has just about got me beat. So i have my fingers crossed that
    a: Im asking for help in the correct forum
    and b: that someone could kindly point me in the right direction.

So the part im looking for is a 3.5mm driver

This is what i intend to make..

[​IMG]

I just cant seem to source the speaker from anywhere.

Hope you guys can help :eek:

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    You want to make a set of ear buds? Why? You can purchase them for chump change, less than you can buy the parts for in most cases...

3. Spartacus72BC

Spartacus72BC

Mar 26, 2013
    well not exactly, these arnt just earbuds. They are safety earplugs that still meet factory safety standards (or just about). I use them for work to listen to podcasts and audio books to relieve the boredom. The ones in the picture above would cost £17 ($25) and to be honest the quality is very poor and im sure i could do a better job, except i cant find the driver.

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I'm lost here, what is a driver?

These earbuds contain...

1/8" (3.5mm) stereo phono plug
    2 small speakers
    length of wire
    silicone plugs

As for getting better sound, I suspect not, first your speaker choices are going to be VERY limited unless you take them out of another set of earbuds... 2nd you will almost certainly have to spend more money to get higher end speakers,and then you are left with designing the ear plug to allow the speaker to work properly or else you are back to garbage sound...

There is a reason profession audiophiles still use those big ear muff headphones, if you want quality sound while isolating outside noise, earbuds are not what you are after...

5. Spartacus72BC

Spartacus72BC

Mar 26, 2013
    The 'driver' is as ive been led to believe is the speaker.

I apologize if i have misled you but all i am wanting to do is replicate the above.
    I am aware that speakers of that size are far from the holy grail of audio ecstasy but
    for listening to an audio book they are just fine.

When i mentioned quality i should have made myself clear because i was referring to build quality. The solder points are rubbish to say the very least and i believe i could do better, or at least i could give it a go.

So where would i find a 3.5mm speaker?

6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    In a pair of earphones like the ones you show us.

I'm not sure that they're readily available, off-the-shelf products.

7. Spartacus72BC

Spartacus72BC

Mar 26, 2013
    No its just the speakers i am wanting. I can find everything else.

8. Spartacus72BC

Spartacus72BC

Mar 26, 2013
    This is the inside of the earplug.

[​IMG]

[​IMG][/IMG]

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013
  9. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    What Steve said, there are VERY few over the counter consumer option for micro speakers of that size, they are almost always a proprietary item... So the best place to get them is to remove them from an existing set of ear buds...

If you do manage to find any half way decent ones over the counter you will likely spend in excess of what it cost to buy the commercial ear buds, or you will have to purchase a wholesale lot...

There is some irony that if you go to Mouser and search for 3.5mm speakers this is the result

http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail...=/ha2pyFadugEGfSbvQ2w30Na3rSIw5DorPbLxAAzmKc=

10. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

Get the "speakers" from another pair of earphones and build the rest if that's what you want/need to do.

Ask a Question