Connect with us

Trying to identify an SMD

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by dranobob, Feb 26, 2012.

1. dranobob

dranobob

Feb 26, 2012
    Quick history. My mother was trying to repair a lose panel on her dishwasher when she dropped it severing the ribbon cable. The panel is membrane style. So the plan was simply to build a new panel out of leds and momentary switches.

There are 5 SMDs that were in the membrane that I can't identify. They have a band on one side so my guess is a diode or capacitor. they all are the size and have a capital "A" in the middle. The A is clearly NOT the marking for the anode. This is the only marking besides the band. When testing with Diode setting on my meter, it only shows voltage for one direction and that reading is 0.535V. So I'm leaning towards it being a diode. I am little out of practice building circuits, so forgive me if I say something odd or wrong.

Anyone have any ideas on what this is? I am trying to figure it out so i can order the soldered kind to use in my new panel.

EDIT: Also I get ~1M Ohms one way and Open the next, so pretty convinced its a diode, just trying to figure out what its specs are?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi there
    welcome to the forums :)

some photo's of the unit would help us help you else we are just guessing

make sure they are well focussed so we can read part numbers etc

cheers
    Dave

3. dranobob

dranobob

Feb 26, 2012
    Here's the picture, had to use a jewelers loop to get it. its about 1mm x 2mm.

Attached Files:

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yep, looks like a diode to me.

I *may* be able to get a possible part number, but with just an "A" on it, there's likely to be many options...

5. dranobob

dranobob

Feb 26, 2012
    if it helps. i popped one off and clean it up. it has a lead sticking off each side at the bottom.

6. Rleo6965

Rleo6965

Jan 22, 2012
    Diode test reading was ok. Why do you have to remove it?

Ask a Question