Connect with us

Trying to get LED strip to flash simultaneously.

Discussion in 'LEDs and Optoelectronics' started by Doc_K, Jun 24, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Doc_K

Doc_K

Feb 3, 2015
    Hello! I was hoping to get some help with a project I'm currently working on. Right now, I'm soldering a few amber LED strips together and trying to find a way to make them all simultaneously flash 3 times per second as long at any time that they're on. A similar speed will work as well.

Does anyone have a type of relay they would recommend? I'm looking for something preferably small. Should I switch to a different type of LED or is there a device I can use? Thank you!

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
  3. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    Just add a flashing LED in series

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    This has to be a new low in bad advice.

Bob

AnalogKid and Arouse1973 like this.
  5. Colin Mitchell

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
    "This has to be a new low in bad advice."

What are you talking about ???
    That's exactly what I did with a buffer transistor and all the strips are flashing together.

6. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Which words in "Just add a flashing LED in series" indicates that a buffer transistor would be used?

Bob

Gryd3 likes this.
  7. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    Or that the required series voltage is available?

Don't worry, I'm sure someone with "20 years design experience" will figure it out.

ak

Gryd3 likes this.
  8. Gryd3

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
    Check out Harald's post and see what you can find. You can make it flash at the exact rate you want, and can easily adjust the rate with a well placed potentiometer.

Do you have any data on the light strips we could see?
    12V strips are common, and chaining them together results in maintaining a 12V requirement but increasing the current required... You will need to make sure that anything you use can handle the current.

Ask a Question