Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Trying to fix an old record player.

Tesla_fan

Jun 8, 2017
Hay everybody, I'm new to this forum so ill start by stating that I have never taken any formal electronics courses. Aside from automotive electronics. That being said, ohm's law, voltage divider circuits, voltage drop test/available, and of course resistance test pretty much covers my base knowledge of this topic. I do sometime mess around with transistors but my brain catches fire after a while of that

Here is what I am stump on. I have a 12v DC brushed motor with four wires (-blue, +red, "P"yellow, and "P"yellow out of a Casio ms250 record player that spins too fast. The motor only runs at full 12v speed the two yellow wires have zero effect on motor speed. Basically the motor is shot. At this point I am at the end of my rope I even tried to use half of a potentiometer to get the motor down to proper speed maybe with the proper POT it will work. The motor only needs .1 amps to run. I have below pictures of the motor. But if you have a solution that shotguns this motor it's not the end of the world.

Motor specs
P/N:SHR2R-10-9304C
Voltage: 12
Amps: .1
W: 1-3/8 inches
H:1-1/2 inches
Shaft: 9/16 inch

Any and all help is greatly appreciated:cool: 20170608_155712_resized.jpg 20170608_155901_resized.jpg 20170608_155926_resized.jpg

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Chances are the motor is quite ok . The fault may be more to do with the speed regulator which I suspect are the two yellow wires and some additional circuit within the player. It would be what is commonly known as " feedback" to keep the speed at a constant setting. Output pully appears to be the type that runs an idler to the turntable. Perhaps 2 speed but not enough in the photo to see.

Tesla_fan

Jun 8, 2017
Thanks for your quick response Bluejets. However the only thing the two yellow wires go to from the motor is a switch for 45 speed and 33 speed. The switch is a SPST two position switch. I ohm'ed out the switch while disconnected and switch is fine. Then I shorted the two yellows together temporarily; Motor still runs at top speed. Let me know if theirs a specific picture you'd like to see of the player?:cool:

debe

Oct 15, 2011
This is the type of motor. They are not expensive (at least not here in Australia about $15.) The speed control is inside the motor & is probably faulty.DUAL SPEED MOTOR.JPG

Tesla_fan

Jun 8, 2017
Thanks a lot for the image Debe. At lest now I know I'm not crazy:rolleyes:. Google has no idea what I'm looking for. I've typed just about everything. Well, maybe not everything. Perhaps you may know what I should type in to get better results or a retailer that has them.:cool:

debe

Oct 15, 2011
You may not get the same motor. But going by the pulley on your motor, its a belt drive turntable. So you need a Clock wise rotating motor. I will post pictures from WES component catalogue here in Australia for your reference, & I have underlined the motor that should do the job. The speed control circuit is shown that should do the job.CW CIRCUIT.jpg CW, MOTOR.JPG WES components.jpg

tedstruk

Jan 7, 2012
Great help!
Hey there is one other thing that you might have missed...

is the belt real tight when you put it on....???

there is a second place on the turntable that the belt goes... it shouldn't be very tight, and if it is on the wrong track, it will just spin up the turntable to a really high speed, no matter what speed the motor is on.

its near the center of the turntable.

Tesla_fan

Jun 8, 2017
You may not get the same motor. But going by the pulley on your motor, its a belt drive turntable. So you need a Clock wise rotating motor. I will post pictures from WES component catalogue here in Australia for your reference, & I have underlined the motor that should do the job. The speed control circuit is shown that should do the job.View attachment 34481 View attachment 34482 View attachment 34483

Thanks a lot Debe, even with your help it took me a while to decide on that motor. issue #1: I don't think it's sold in the U.S, issue #2 It goes by 2 part numbers (My P/N:SHR2R and the advertised P/N: SHU2R. I did complete the order but it seems like because its coming from (down under) they may give me some friction.:cool:

Tesla_fan

Jun 8, 2017
Great help!
Hey there is one other thing that you might have missed...

is the belt real tight when you put it on....???

there is a second place on the turntable that the belt goes... it shouldn't be very tight, and if it is on the wrong track, it will just spin up the turntable to a really high speed, no matter what speed the motor is on.

its near the center of the turntable.

I don't think so the belt can only go on one way. Thanks anyway though.