Connect with us

trying to figure out what to search for

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by rebeltaz, Apr 10, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. rebeltaz

rebeltaz

Nov 22, 2012
    I am building a Nixie Tube clock based on the MSP430 processor using NL-904 nixie tubes. I have laid out and etched the board, but connecting the tubes to it is another issue all together. I did find a source at one time for sockets, but they were about $20 a piece.

I happened upon the idea to use silver conductive epoxy to connect the pins to the pads on the board, and even talked ChemTronics into supplying me with a sample of their CW2400 epoxy. (Told them the truth about what I was doing and they actually sent a full size product - EXCELLENT company... just saying :) ) Now, I'm scared to use that. I only have one shot at getting this right if I use the epoxy and if a tube ever goes bad (do nixie tubes go bad?) I have no idea how I would replace it.

I'm thinking if I could find a push on pin connector, I could silicon the tube to the board, just or physical support, and then use press on connectors to wire the tube to the board. The problem is I have no idea what to search for, if such a creature even exists.

The pins on the tubes are 0.042" (1.05mm) diameter.

Any ideas? Thanks...

2. GonzoEngineer

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
    I had this same problem many years ago.
    Find a Female DB type connector and take it apart to get the pins.
    You can solder the pins to the board!
    A small sleve of 1/8' shink tubing will also ensure a good pressure contact.

3. rebeltaz

rebeltaz

Nov 22, 2012
    D'oh! Didn't think of that. I'll give that a try. Thank you! :)

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Yeah, a great solution. I've also done it, but not for nixie tubes :)

5. rebeltaz

rebeltaz

Nov 22, 2012
    Awesome idea! Worked great! .... but... I don't suppose anyone has a spare NL-904 Nixie tube laying around do they? I designed this circuit and the custom case around the NL-904, of which I had four, only to find out NOW that one of the tubes is bad! ARRRRGGG!

Thanks guys... :)

Ask a Question