Maker Pro
Maker Pro

trying to figure out what to search for

rebeltaz

Nov 22, 2012
I am building a Nixie Tube clock based on the MSP430 processor using NL-904 nixie tubes. I have laid out and etched the board, but connecting the tubes to it is another issue all together. I did find a source at one time for sockets, but they were about $20 a piece.

I happened upon the idea to use silver conductive epoxy to connect the pins to the pads on the board, and even talked ChemTronics into supplying me with a sample of their CW2400 epoxy. (Told them the truth about what I was doing and they actually sent a full size product - EXCELLENT company... just saying :) ) Now, I'm scared to use that. I only have one shot at getting this right if I use the epoxy and if a tube ever goes bad (do nixie tubes go bad?) I have no idea how I would replace it.

I'm thinking if I could find a push on pin connector, I could silicon the tube to the board, just or physical support, and then use press on connectors to wire the tube to the board. The problem is I have no idea what to search for, if such a creature even exists.

The pins on the tubes are 0.042" (1.05mm) diameter.

Any ideas? Thanks...

GonzoEngineer

Dec 2, 2011
I had this same problem many years ago.
Find a Female DB type connector and take it apart to get the pins.
You can solder the pins to the board!
A small sleve of 1/8' shink tubing will also ensure a good pressure contact.

rebeltaz

Nov 22, 2012
I had this same problem many years ago.
Find a Female DB type connector and take it apart to get the pins.
You can solder the pins to the board!
A small sleve of 1/8' shink tubing will also ensure a good pressure contact.

D'oh! Didn't think of that. I'll give that a try. Thank you! :)

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Yeah, a great solution. I've also done it, but not for nixie tubes :)

rebeltaz

Nov 22, 2012
Awesome idea! Worked great! .... but... I don't suppose anyone has a spare NL-904 Nixie tube laying around do they? I designed this circuit and the custom case around the NL-904, of which I had four, only to find out NOW that one of the tubes is bad! ARRRRGGG!

Thanks guys... :)