Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Trying to diagnose a unique problem

TLCoast

Nov 28, 2013
Hi everyone. I need help diagnosing a unique problem with my PC and Televisions at home. Around Spring time this year, my computer started displaying strangely. The desktop looked as if it was off its axis. And would tilt from left to right. It got worse in August when the screen started to slant from top to bottom. So now, my windows desktop icons, and browser windows resemble a sliding board at a kids park. Starting straight at the top, but extending outward as you look further down.

Oddly enough, this same slant/bulge? Is seen on two televisions in my house. I have two 27 inch sharp color t.v.s. One in the living room, and another in the second bedroom. Both have digital cable, but the one in the bedroom has a high def cable box (Samsung). On both t.v.s, the picture is pushed outward towards the screen. Like it is sitting on a bubble. And the picture quality has noticeably degraded. Not crystal clear anymore. I have an RCA TRU FLAT HDTV in the third bedroom. And the picture quality on that t.v. has degraded as well. When watching a ball game? You cannot make out the score at the bottom of the screen because the numbers are all fuzzy and blurred.

Although there's no bulge-picture on the TRU FLAT because of how the screen is designed. But it is being affected by the same interference that's affected my two color t.v.s, and my computer. I can move the computer to different rooms, plug it into different outlets, and it still behaves the same. I have gone through my apartment unplugging possible offender items, moving them, checking outlets, etc. And nothing fixes the issue.

I plugged my PC using a long cord into a socket into the hallway of my building, where the janitor plugs up his equipment like the buffer, and stuff? And my PC STILL DISPLAYS with a sloped screen! And my flat screen monitors? The text and picture quality is weak because of this interference. Text on an LCD looks blurred and faded. And the sloped screen effect remains. On a crt, the text looks fine but the sloped screen looks far worse because of the monitor being a 17 inch crt versus a 25 inch LCD. I've had the cable and internet technicians out here to check their equipment. And they came up clean. I've had the building electricians out to check out my apartment, and it came up clean. I bought a new surge protector, and it hasn't helped. I've tested 5 different PC towers and 6 different PC monitors. Nothing works. So what exactly is going on here? I've lived in this complex for 12 years and have never had this problem until now. Whatever it is though....it's not just affecting my computer but my t.v.s as well, so the issue is intertwined.

Everything else like my iphone, microwave, lights, etc work fine. But anything that I plug into the wall that displays a picture is affected. Thoughts?

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Perhaps you can post some pictures.

TLCoast

Nov 28, 2013
Not from my PC, I've done it before and the pics don't show anything wrong. If the video card or on board video are giving out the proper display, all the image will show is the usual desktop display. And the problem won't be visible. Also with the television, this is not an issue you'd be able to see from a digital camera pic. It's something you'd have to be here in person to see. Do you have any theories on what external or internal interference would cause digital cable signal to erode and affect a PC's VGA display as well? One theory I have is the new electronic fire alarm system installed into our building. We used to have a fire alarm bell that rung at the top of the wall near my door.

But earlier this year, the landlord removed it, and instead installed a digital fire alarm box that shows date, time, building number, etc.

Last edited:

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
You could buy me an airfare to come and look at it.

However, I find your lack of pictures disturbing because your initial description was that the problems were clearly visible.

And my PC STILL DISPLAYS with a sloped screen.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
I don't suppose you've changed your glasses recently?

If you have glasses with progressive changes in focal length, they can distort the appearance of things. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

The major problem with your observations is that you are talking about effects that can't easily happen on LCD monitors. The fact that the same effects are being seen of different devices which employ different methods of generating an image suggest that the problem is external to the monitor.

I have prescription glasses with one lens stronger than the other. Whilst driving, it appears to me that one side of the console behind the steering wheel is closer than the other. Originally it seemed like the seat was not straight or something. Now I realise it's my glasses.

TLCoast

Nov 28, 2013
I don't suppose you've changed your glasses recently?

If you have glasses with progressive changes in focal length, they can distort the appearance of things. Some people are more sensitive to it than others.

The major problem with your observations is that you are talking about effects that can't easily happen on LCD monitors. The fact that the same effects are being seen of different devices which employ different methods of generating an image suggest that the problem is external to the monitor.

I have prescription glasses with one lens stronger than the other. Whilst driving, it appears to me that one side of the console behind the steering wheel is closer than the other. Originally it seemed like the seat was not straight or something. Now I realise it's my glasses.

I don't wear glasses. My vision isn't perfect, but not bad enough to need glasses. I know now the problem is external, but I am trying to find out what it could be. So I can solve it. I thought about maybe my neighbors have some equipment interfering with my stuff? But my next door neighbors have a stereo system but it's not like one of those BIG HUGE ones you see at a club or something. So that can't be it. If it were bad wiring in the building, wouldn't my lights and appliances be affected as well? My lights work fine, microwave, vacuum, coffee maker, fridge, etc. All work fine. My cable provider also said our cable signal is strong, you think I need to get a MONSTER surge protector? The one I bought was a niagara brand. But people say the MONSTER from Best Buy is the best brand.

I might have to think about running my PC off the grid, but that would require a battery and desktops cannot be powered by a battery strong enough for long periods of time.

Last edited:

Six_Shooter

Nov 16, 2012
If you can see this effect, then it would show up in pictures taken with a digital camera.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
But people say the MONSTER from Best Buy is the best brand.

I have seen no evidence that *anything* made by Monster is other than a way to get technically innocent people to part with their hard earned cash. They seem to be a purveyor of snake oil.

edit: I'm of a mind to agree with Six_Shooter. "Pictures or it didn't happen"

TLCoast

Nov 28, 2013
I'll try to get some digital photos tomorrow. For now though, here's a screenshot of my desktop with google chrome browser window open. What you're looking for here is on the left side, the browser window is curved. Whereas it should be straight.
j74y6x.png

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
A screenshot is not going to show anything because it just shows what the computer thinks is on the screen.

A photo is required.

Be very careful to have the camera parallel to the screen so the edges of the monitor appear as horizontal and vertical in the image as they do in real life.

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
It looks to me like a little pin cushioning like we got with CRT monitors. I didn't know LCD's could have that problem.

John

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
cant see anything obvious wrong and as Steve said.... a screenshot would only show a video processor fault NOT a monitor fault and maybe not even that

Dave