Maker Pro

Trouble with solder

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
Thanks for the info. My iron only came with a pointed tip. :(

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thanks for the info. My iron only came with a pointed tip. :(

that's not really a problem and is great for the majority of electronics :)
a larger tip is important if its a large joint or on a PCB ground plane that will draw away all the heat

Dave

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
I have returned to the project I am working on but found I have problems with my solder. It melts fine but is just not adhering to the joints but instead just sticks to the connections in sticky clumps, not really forming nice smooth connection. Any reasons why this is happening?

When i get this problem the cause is either the solder iron not heating enough to melt solder completely or the solder wire is aged and flux has evaporated.

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
So this is an example of the results I am getting. Not a great image sorry. I am begining to think that it may be the head of the iron, from all the info I have been read so far although it is tinned quite nicely.

soldering_zpsokurvqyg.jpg

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
Looks to me as though (a) you didn't let the legs of the components get hot enough for the solder to flow along them or (b) the legs weren't clean before soldering.

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
Thanks. I am just to worried about overheating the components. Do you think the joints wil be okay though?

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
Thanks. I am just to worried about overheating the components. Do you think the joints wil be okay though?

no, they are really bad , sorry.

get practicing on some old never to be used components and bits of wire ... so you don't damage any good components
soldering is an art and requires practice and time to learn properly :)

Dave

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Here's a trick that will help a lot in cases like this.

Get yourself an eraser (one designed for ink is best, otherwise something hard). Slice it with a craft knife part way through so that you can open up the cut piece enough to slip the component leads through it. Run the eraser up and down the component lead a few times. It should look more shiny. DO NOT TOUCH IT WITH YOUR FINGERS. If you're using thin solder, you can do the same with a few inches of it too.

Now you have clean leads and clean solder, the amount of flux in the solder will be heaps to make a really nice looking joint.

Now move the solder to the joint, near but not touching the iron. Wipe the end of the solder over the joint. If you have done everything right, the heat in the wires will melt the solder and it will flow over the joint.

Now remove the solder and the iron, being careful to ensure the joint does not flex while the solder is solidifying.

In your case, you will need to figure out a way to keep the joint immobile during the last stage of the process (removing the iron). Once you have some joints done, things will start to hold together by themselves.

If you're soldering really close to semiconductors, you need to be fairly quick. Under 5 seconds is probably sufficient, but with practice you can do it far quicker.

And as Dave says... Practice, practice, practice.

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
Thanks.

This isn't isn't my first ever adventure in soldering. I have built a few projects before but never had this kind of trouble.

HellasTechn

Apr 14, 2013
You could get a cheap solder iron to check if that solves the problem and if not just keep it as spare. Same with solder wire.

8bit

Oct 30, 2013
The iron I am using was kinda of cheap, It was only £13 reduced from £15 from Maplin.

I have literally just finished having another go and it has resulted in the solder looking blackened and sticking to the leads of the component. I have never seen this before. I used steel wool on the leads prior to soldering to clean them and left the iron to heat for 10 minutes.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Hi 8bit,
I have been watching this thread. It does sound like you are burning the flux..
Any chance you can upload a video to Youtube. Only then can anybody be sure of what is going on!.
At least then we can see your iron, flux and how you are using it..

The iron is either too hot or too cold..

Martin