Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Trouble with assembling electrolytic capacitators

123456789a

Mar 2, 2013
Hello, for the past 6 months I had been working on graphene particularly making electrolytic capacitors. And they had been a hit or miss for me when it comes to assembling it for some reason and I want to know what's wrong since I know it is not the electrolyte or the graphene I am using since I been testing them thoroughly. How I assemble them is by first by making a door/book like hinges with the pet plastic dielectric and the first electrode by using kapton and pvc duct tape then I put my goo like electrolyte in between them then seal the openings up with kapton and duct tape thoroughly then I do the same thing for the second electrode and the other dry end of the dielectric.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Is there someting in the chemical composition of the duct tape glue that may be causing unexpected problems?

123456789a

Mar 2, 2013
Is there someting in the chemical composition of the duct tape glue that may be causing unexpected problems?
Not that I am aware of since the ones that came out successful had the same duct tape sealing them

davenn

Sep 5, 2009
I have to ask .... why are you bothering to make something that is so readily available ?

cheers
Dave

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
If some of them do what you want them to, and some don't, I would assume there is something about your construction technique that is prone to variation.
I'd pay special attention when I assembled each one, and try to determine where the variance is occurring.

123456789a

Mar 2, 2013
I have to ask .... why are you bothering to make something that is so readily available ?

cheers
Dave
care to link me where graphene capacitors are available? As far as I know graphene based anything is still in the experimental stage and 6 grams of it from buying it off someone is literally around $235 and I also don't see any calcium nitrate electrolytes much less a gel type one on sale so I had to make that too.

If some of them do what you want them to, and some don't, I would assume there is something about your construction technique that is prone to variation.
I'd pay special attention when I assembled each one, and try to determine where the variance is occurring.
Well hence why I made the topic :p thinking about them again the only thing I notice is that the ones that were more messy and have a .02 V right after assembling them before charging were the ones that turned out successful but that doesn't really show me where I went wrong when assembling them. Also just wondering. You have any other alternate assembling method that is less error prone than mine? I am ready to make my second batch

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
care to link me where graphene capacitors are available?

I think the question related to capacitors in general.

I'm also interested in why you're making them. It's not a criticism. There must be either something unique about their characteristics, or you're just experimenting. Either way it's interesting.

the only thing I notice is that the ones that were more messy and have a .02 V right after assembling them before charging were the ones that turned out successful but that doesn't really show me where I went wrong when assembling them. Also just wondering. You have any other alternate assembling method that is less error prone than mine? I am ready to make my second batch

Well, there may be something in this "messyness" that is important. Was it slightly more electrolyte? Was the voltage you read on them after construction indicative of a lack of internal shorts?

How do you define "more successful"? Did the neat ones not work at all? Did they have a lower capacitance, higher leakage, something else?

123456789a

Mar 2, 2013
I think the question related to capacitors in general.

I'm also interested in why you're making them. It's not a criticism. There must be either something unique about their characteristics, or you're just experimenting. Either way it's interesting.
I am mainly making them because of their pseudo-capacitance and that they are usually in liquid form I can put it on almost anywhere (depending on my chemical process I chose). I usually put them on thin plywood since the method I use to get the end result couldn't attach itself to plastic like my original intention

Well, there may be something in this "messyness" that is important. Was it slightly more electrolyte? Was the voltage you read on them after construction indicative of a lack of internal shorts?

How do you define "more successful"? Did the neat ones not work at all? Did they have a lower capacitance, higher leakage, something else?
They were messy because I would accidentally apply too much pressure while taping them down together before I could seal the outer edges. My neater ones I try applying pressure the same way I did accidentally with my messy ones only after I sealed up the outer edges. I define "more successful" in this case as them showing capacitance and however though my neater ones do not show this

Last edited: