Connect with us

Trouble with a connector

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Batracide, Mar 29, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Batracide

Batracide

Mar 27, 2020
    Hello,
    I have some trouble reinserting a flex cable into a connector of a Orion DVD/VR-2961 SI: the opening is very narrow and I can’t find any moving part as in a ZIF connector.
    The guide I followed simply said to carefully pull it to remove, and it came out easily, but has no instructions on how to put it back.
    Since the cable seems quite delicate, is there a safe way to plug it in?
    Photos of cable and connector attached.

Attached Files:

2. pharaon

pharaon

Oct 28, 2014
    it use some piece as lock, try to find little arm or pin that you can move to open the lock put the cable them re close the arm back

3. Batracide

Batracide

Mar 27, 2020
    Thank you for your fast reply!
    I’ve tried to find a movable part before, but the connector seems like a single piece: when I try to move it the entire board (and device) moves.
    I’ll check the piece more carefully.

4. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Well the situation is like this . . . . . back at square one you should have taken a Sharpie and made alignment marks on BOTH the PCB mounted female connector and the plug in ribbon connector.
    It is apparent that this ribbon connector is only using the odd number connections, with the blue tape being on the unused side.
    Look at the inside of the board connector and you will see gold flashed phospor bronze contacts that are there to constantly hold a firm pressure to the mating ribbon connectors contacts.
    Reinstall is as easy as getting each side of the ribbon connector on your respective thumbs and index fingers and gripping the edges and bracing the little fingers down into the PCB for steady static support, then press the ribbon connector down until it botttoms out within the connector slot..

Even more important would be the use of the same procedure in reverse, if you ever have to unplug a cable. With the little fingers braced against the board, then you grip down on the edges of the cable with thumbs and index fingers. Then you will be able to simultaneously LEVER UP the sides of the connector in unison, with a pivoting of the thumbs and index fingers.
    Just grabbing the cable and yanking up on it . . .just doesn't cut it. . . . . and the unplugging of the cable is more prone to inflicting problems, than its proper re insertion.

On your unit . . .no pins . . .locks . . . . . .plates are missing . . . it is being complete, as is shown.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
    Batracide likes this.
  5. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

It doesn't look single piece ... pretty sure the left side with the "lip" (overhang) should gently lift up
    it's rare that ones like these are just a friction fit ..... I guess there's always a first time to see one ;)

Clipboard01.jpg

6. Batracide

Batracide

Mar 27, 2020
    I tried your method and the cable went completely in!
    Picture and sound are ok: the connector crisis is solved!
    If I may ask, the DVD tray still struggles a bit when opening (it was stuck closed before) but works fine when closing, or when it’s off and I turn the manual opening gear, could it be that the belt has loosened?
    Thank you all for the support.

7. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Is it a square black "rubber" belt ~1/8 in square ?
    If so, I need to give you a SPECIAL restorative/ cleaning / rejuvenation procedure
    <START 72 FONT SIZING> BEFORE <END 72 FONT SIZING> you put / use any type of cleaner / chemical on it.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2020
  8. Batracide

Batracide

Mar 27, 2020
    The rubber belt has a square section of about 1 millimeters per side and a diameter of roughly 32 millimeters.
    Photo with ruler attached for reference below:

Attached Files:

Ask a Question