Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Triggering a 555 with another

abuhafss

Aug 3, 2010
Can anybody tell me if the output of a monostable 555 timer circuit can be used to trigger another similar timer circuit. I have shown my idea with a red line in the attached schematic. If it needs to be improved/modify, please guide me.

Thanks.

Attachments

• 555 Triggering.gif
    555 Triggering.gif
    6.2 KB · Views: 498

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Tell us exactly what you're trying to achieve, rather than having us work out what your circuit does (which may not be what you want).

In general, yes -- the output of one 555 can be used to control another 555.

abuhafss

Aug 3, 2010
I simply want the first timer to switch off the relay and simultaneously trigger the second one after the completion of the time period. You mentioned, it is possible. Would you pls guide me if a simple coupling jumper would do the job or I need a coupling capacitor or some other components? Please inform the values of the components, if required.

Thanks for your help.

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
Use the reset pin. You have it tied high to VCC which keeps your timer in operation always. If you rather tied the reset line of one timer to the output of the other then you would be controlling one with the other. If you need opposite operation then slip an inverter in line.

Good luck
-Nick-

abuhafss

Aug 3, 2010
Use the reset pin. You have it tied high to VCC which keeps your timer in operation always. If you rather tied the reset line of one timer to the output of the other then you would be controlling one with the other. If you need opposite operation then slip an inverter in line.

Good luck
-Nick-

Do you mean, I connect the output (PIN3) of timer 1 to the reset (PIN4) of timer 2?

For connection, a simple jumper will be okay?

Thanks for you help.

NickS

Apr 6, 2010
Connecting pin 3 of timer 1 to pin 4 of timer 2 will make Timer 2 start up when Timer 1 is high(and vice versa).

Last time I did it I needed timer 2 to start up when timer 1 output was low, so my block diagram was
(Timer 1 pin 3)--->(Inverter)-->(Timer 2 pin 4)