Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Triboelectric Series and teflon

NuLED

Jan 7, 2012
I am looking at this, the Triboelectric Series:

http://www.siliconfareast.com/tribo_series.htm

According to what I understand (ha!), we would get the most electrification with items from the extreme ends of the list. So, according to this list, AIR moving over TELFON should create enormous static electricity. But I am not really sure this is the case, or are we talking pure teflon, and coated items themselves conduct the charge away because the coating is on metal (pots and pans) or on something that is more positive (paper) than the teflon itself?

JimW

Oct 22, 2010
Enormous is a term that may not be quite what you hope it will be. But if the teflon on the pan is thick enough, then it should work fine. Better would be to buy some lengths of teflon shrink tubing and put that over something.

Air is at the extreme positive end of the spectrum, but difficult to use to create usable static in the experiments that I have done. I suspect it is the density of the atoms coming in contact with the teflon. You will be much happier with fur or wool and the teflon. If you are trying to make a Van De Graaf generator then a teflon coated roller and a glass roller are a great combination.

-Jim

NuLED

Jan 7, 2012
Thanks Jim. Actually I am just curious about it. If I am trying anything it will be to try to AVOID static generation due to ESD damage ;-)