Connect with us

Triangle wave generator

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by keelen, May 9, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. keelen

keelen

May 9, 2013
    For one of my projects, I need to design a triangle wave generator. What I was thinking to do is to use an adjustable linear voltage regulator (i.e LM117 or LT317) and use a digital potentiometer at the adj pin to change the resistance. Afterwards, i will use a microcontroller to change the steps very quickly. I am hoping that this will create a relatively good triangle wave. The main issue that I am faced with is that my Digital Pot is only capable of handling 5 Ma's and the current flowing through it is approximately 5.5 Ma's. I know this is probably not the best way to proceed in order to design a signal generator but since I am on a tight time constraint, this was the only idea that I could think of.

If anyone has any suggestions in order to improve my idea or suggestions concerning other components that I could use in order to bring down the current flowing through the pot, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    If you are already using a microcontroller, why not use a DAC to output a triangle wave directly?

Bob

3. keelen

keelen

May 9, 2013
    The main issue that I am faced with is that a DAC will not output enough current for what I need to do. I should have mentioned this before but I need a triangle wave with an output current of 1.5 amps and a min/max voltage of 1.8 and 3.3 volts respectively.

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Basically, a voltage regulator is just a an error amp and a pass transistor. You could build this yourself with an opamp and a darlington transistor. You would feed a triangle wave from the DAC to the + input of the opamp, and feed back the output voltage at the pass transistor to the - input, with the output of the opamp controlling the base of the pass transistor. This would basically be a high-power voltage follower.

Bob

5. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Here is a circuit that simulates well anyway.

triangle.JPG

V2 is the triangle wave input. If you use a microcontroller with a DAC you could output this directly, or you could use PWM with an RC filter to make a crude DAC, or you could use an external DAC.

The opamp could be any single supply capable opamp like the LM358

Bob

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  6. keelen

keelen

May 9, 2013
    Thanks a lot Bobk for your help

7. keelen

keelen

May 9, 2013
    BobK, I was just wondering what software did you use in order to perform this simulation?

8. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    LTspice. If is free from Linear Technologies, and works quite well.

Bob

Ask a Question