Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Triac replacement

Pexy

Feb 21, 2016
Hey guys. I have been doing measurements on my cheep soldering station and I accidently shorted the output wires and the triac exploded. The triac is mac97a608. I asked at my local electronic store for a replacement but they didn't have a mach. Could you recomend me the equivalent triac for replacement? Thanks

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Pexy . . . . .

That researches out as being a 400 volt at 600 Ma triac that is having logic level gate sensitivity.
Housed in a puny plastic T0-92 case.
OBVIOUSLY its being relegated to some lower level sensing / drive application in the controller circuit . . .with a much HEAVIER other unit being used for power control of the units heater element.

INITIALLY . . . . tell us WHO is a mail order supplier in Croatia or elsewhere that you can or have used.

My initial info:
is leaning towards . . . .

ST electronics . . . . .Z00607MA
Philips . . . . . . . . . . .AC01DGM
NTE . . . . . . . . . . . . .NTE5656

73's de Edd

Last edited:

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015

Sir Pexy . . . . . . .

Thinking more about it . . . . I was considering a full fledged bona-fide soldering station on that Triac utilization.
You might merely have a controlled temperature soldering iron only, built much in the order of the one that I have shown below.
That schematic mighty be it exactly . . . . . or being close enough to work with in making cross analysis.

My first dealing with that compact of a system / iron was with the Edsyn Loner unit, which I have shown also.
That design dates back to the 70's and I still have two of them. The very special and pricey tips were
quite problematic, until I slightly cut off the originals eroded very ends and tapped them in order to accept
a 1/8 in threaded tiplet which I made 10 at a time from copper wire and then quench tempered them to harden.
Those tiplets were then being clones of the old UNGER tiplets of the '50's. No more problems, whatsoever.

If you now want to contribute to help others . . .drop the thermistor from circuit connection and feed back the
ambient room temperature resistance of that thermistor.
That is about all that is not on the schematic . . . unless you also supply us the stone cold resistance of the
heater element.

INFO:

cGhzBXn.jpg

73's de Edd

Pexy

Feb 21, 2016

Sir Pexy . . . . .

That researches out as being a 400 volt at 600 Ma triac that is having logic level gate sensitivity.
Housed in a puny plastic T0-92 case.
OBVIOUSLY its being relegated to some lower level sensing / drive application in the controller circuit . . .with a much HEAVIER other unit being used for power control of the units heater element.

INITIALLY . . . . tell us WHO is a mail order supplier in Croatia or elsewhere that you can or have used.

My initial info:
is leaning towards . . . .

ST electronics . . . . .Z00607MA
Philips . . . . . . . . . . .AC01DGM
NTE . . . . . . . . . . . . .NTE5656

73's de Edd
Thanks i will take a look and see if they have any of these. What do you think by mail order supplier in Croatia?

Pexy

Feb 21, 2016

Sir Pexy . . . . . . .

Thinking more about it . . . . I was considering a full fledged bona-fide soldering station on that Triac utilization.
You might merely have a controlled temperature soldering iron only, built much in the order of the one that I have shown below.
That schematic mighty be it exactly . . . . . or being close enough to work with in making cross analysis.

My first dealing with that compact of a system / iron was with the Edsyn Loner unit, which I have shown also.
That design dates back to the 70's and I still have two of them. The very special and pricey tips were
quite problematic, until I slightly cut off the originals eroded very ends and tapped them in order to accept
a 1/8 in threaded tiplet which I made 10 at a time from copper wire and then quench tempered them to harden.
Those tiplets were then being clones of the old UNGER tiplets of the '50's. No more problems, whatsoever.

If you now want to contribute to help others . . .drop the thermistor from circuit connection and feed back the
ambient room temperature resistance of that thermistor.
That is about all that is not on the schematic . . . unless you also supply us the stone cold resistance of the
heater element.

INFO:

cGhzBXn.jpg

73's de Edd

I think my soldering iron works on some sort of dimmer circuit. Could you also be more specific on what you want me to do.

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
" What do you think by mail order supplier in Croatia? "
I am interpreting that you are saying . . . .
What do you "mean" by mail order supplier in Croatia?

I meant where have you bought electronics parts before, if you were unable to locate them locally.
Apparently E-bay by your response . . at a probable 1 month wait on their shipment method to be able to get it to you..

" Could you also be more specific on what you want me to do. "
I just supplied that photo and its schematic information, if it happens to be just like your unit.
If not, provide your units brand and model number and a close up photo would be helpful.

I am already visualizing your units circuitry capability of being able to use that small of a 600 ma Triac because the heating element is using a full 230 volts across it and being passed through that TRIAC . . .in that manner it may then only need 200 milliamperes of current..
MOST units use a reduced voltage of 24 VAC to feed their heating element, but that then requires a TRIAC that is handling 2-3 amperes passing through it.

Edd