Connect with us

Triac Problem

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Abdullah Badarneh, Feb 26, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Abdullah Badarneh

Abdullah Badarneh

Feb 26, 2018
    Hi,
    I'm tired of trying search about this problem, and I didn't find any topic help me,
    I made a circuit as in this image with keeping terminal 3 disconnected,

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xoxt8i2sheqcty0/Triac Problem.png

the problem is the lamp is flickering once I put/remove the plug in/from the power socket, as in this video

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xahbzf2li6c5su0/Triac Problem.mp4

I tried with two another triac bt136&bt138, but the same problem occured, any one can help me?

Thank you in advance.

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Is that an LED bulb? What happens if you use a regular filament bulb?

What are you trying to do? Do you intend to connect something to the gate later on?

Is there anything connected to the gate now? Even just a wire that's not connected to anything else?

3. Abdullah Badarneh

Abdullah Badarneh

Feb 26, 2018
    I don't know,but I think it's filament bulb, I will be sure when I back to home, thank you for this note.

I tried to to control AC by connecting the triac with arduino using moc3021, but the problem occurs whether I connect the triac with moc3021 or disconnect it.

no, it's not connected with anything

4. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    I suspect it's a LED bulb and that leakage through the TRIAC charges up a capacitor in the bulb until it turns on briefly before repeating again and again.

You probably can't use a TRIAC to dim a LED bulb (especially if it's behaving how I suggest above).

5. Abdullah Badarneh

Abdullah Badarneh

Feb 26, 2018
    the trigger occurs regardless the type of device, I tried to connect Samsung charger that connected to phone, the same problem occurred

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    A Samsung charger is likely to be a switch mode device, and as such it may be very similar to a LED bulb.

At this point we haven't established whether the problem is due to leakage or false triggering of the TRIAC.

I have checked and these TRIACs are sensitive gate devices, so false triggering is a higher probability.

Assuming it is false triggering, a snubber across the TRIAC (a resistor in series with a capacitor across the MT1 and MT2 terminals) should help stop dv/dt triggering. However this will also increase leakage which may increase the problems for LED bulbs. Of the top of my head, a 47Ω resistor in series with a 0.1μF cap may be ok. Ensure the capacitor is mains rated.

A resistor between the gate and MT1 may reduce false triggering caused by any signals being coupled to the gate. Try a 4k7 resistor.

7. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Floating pins usually cause many problems.

8. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    A 10 kΩ resistor from gate (in 3) to A1 (pin 1) should remedy that point.
    The correct setup for using an MOC3021 with a triac is shown e.g. here.

Ask a Question