Connect with us

Triac dimming

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Greenlite, Oct 31, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Greenlite

Greenlite

Oct 31, 2016
    Hi

Im not an electronics guy but Im caught atm between 2 manufactures 1 produces frame transformers and the other receiver dimming unit ( Rako)

We design and install garden lighting

We cannot use electronic transformers due to the temperature drop we get on our installs as the units will be mounted outdoors due to the volt drop on the 12volt side

Is there any way of altering the electronics in the dimming receiver units ( Rako) so that the output sine wave is not chopped ?I have been told we need to use the triac as we have a leading edge load ??.But the choped sign wave is blowing my transformers.

Any help will be gratefully received .. there is more history to this episode but I dont wish to bore you silly .. but I will explain in full if required

Regards

2. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Ideally it is best to use simple Triac control the output (12v) side than the input to a transformer.
    M.

3. Greenlite

Greenlite

Oct 31, 2016
    ah ok unfortunately that wont be possible

Our normal set up is house RCBO via mains cable to Rako dimmer units within the property.Armoured cable outside round the gardens intercepted with IP rated enclosures.At that point the fitting of IP65 frame transformers giving 12volt output to the led light fitting which are constant voltage .

Rako bridge and or wall switch communicate via RF to the dimmer units.

Are electronic IP rated drivers happy with temperatures down to -10 ? .being electronic are they happy to take the chopped triac wave form ?

Thanks

4. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    What are the details of the 'IP rated drivers'?
    M.

5. Greenlite

Greenlite

Oct 31, 2016
    That I dont know ,we have never gone down the driver route,we have always found frame or toroidal transformers more reliable in garden use and they give smoother dimming.But we have just taken del of 600 transformers that require full AC sinusoidal input , I naively thought all 230volt to 12volt frame transformers were the same but apparently not.So we are trying to come up with an answer how Rako can add a part to their dimmer units to give us a full wave form on the output but also provide dimming.

From an electronic driver we would require 230volt to 12volt constant voltage with capability to dim and be IP rated to at least 65,...... and handle temperature changes from -10 to + 50

Or have another load of transformers built

6. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    It sounds as though you have SMPS switch mode P.S.'s, these do not take to SCR dimming, the most reliable is a linear supply, either standard EI transformer or Toroidal, these will often take Triac dimming on the input, but secondary is best, if possible.
    M.

7. Greenlite

Greenlite

Oct 31, 2016
    Ok thanks

These transformers do not work well with triac dimmers they overheat and burn out the thermal over load,with no load they crackle and pop on the mains side.We did have them independently tested here in the Uk and they are compliant and well built.They just required a full wave form on the input side

Many thanks for your help

Ask a Question