Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tri-amping with active crossovers

Andetroy

Sep 8, 2013
I have done a lot of reading on audio Power Amplifiers. I'm very content with my progress as far as building power amps in concerned. My question however relates to active crossovers. I have been told that if I want to use active crossovers, the only option for a 3-way system would be bi/tri-amping. This would mean I'd have to design two/three different amps for HF and LF drivers. Is there a way I can avoid this as the cost would just go through the roof? Should I opt for a passive network. I'm new around here.

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
You would not have to design any amps. There are plenty of them out there for less money than you could build one for. Check Ebay.

Bob

solo2racr

Aug 21, 2013
Active crossovers have to be used with separate amps for each freq separation. Any crossovers placed in the preamp stage and then it all run into a single amp defeats the purpose.

Andetroy

Sep 8, 2013
Thank you for clearing that up. I have already simulated a design for the bass driver 70W. For the driver stated above, what in your opinion would be an acceptable midrange and tweeter power output?

solo2racr

Aug 21, 2013
What are your expected crossover points? That and driver efficiency will determine what power you will need.