Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Treadmill Switch Repair

bfallen64

Jun 26, 2018
Hello all! I am attempting to replace a switch on a circuit board from a treadmill. The switch button broke, and I would like some advice on identifying what type of switch to replace it with, and how to properly remove the broken switch and install the new one. The board has 4 switches in total, and I am lead to believe that the broken switch is similar if not identical to the 3 that are still functioning. What I don't know is if the fact the broken switch is for an on/off function on the treadmill means that it should be a continuous or different type of switch (extreme novice to this field so I'm sure my nomenclature is off). Any help or language to help describe my situation would be extremely appreciated! -Benton

Attachments

• IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    370.4 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0613.JPG
    IMG_0613.JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 60

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
That appears to be a common four terminal PCB switch, they usually have 2 contacts with double poles connected internally, Digikey have them.
M.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
The button on top of the switch..... is it a removable cap? If so, where's the 'broken one'?

Measure the switch dimensions - they are fairly standard - and as @Minder suggests, trawl over to Digikey and use their parametric search facility to search for 'switch'....'pcb mounting'.... two pole.... whatever..... you'll narrow the results down (the more detail you put in) and eventually 'see' something that will fit.

But FIRST you will need to determine whether it is indeed a two pole device or something with internal straps (never mind what for now...) and this will require a test meter.

You need to use a continuity tester to test between the pins of S1 (the good one) and see if you can determine the actual function - i.e. measure the continuity of two of the pins with the button 'pushed' and the button 'not pushed'. Let us know the results.

Also, if there is a push button elsewhere on the board that is identical but otherwise never used (i.e. a button labelled 'top speed' or something :D) you could just swap its position and forego the 'unused' function for a function that is essential.

As a 'last resort' you could even attach wires to the solder pads and fit an externally mounted push switch (which can be bought in all sorts of shapes, sizes and colours).

A big red 'games console' type button would look cool!