Maker Pro
Maker Pro

treadmill problem

richard m

Dec 8, 2010
i have a treadmill that keeps blowing the main trip switch,
i have put in a new circuit board,
i have tried a few different motor but they keep blowing,especially when under a load,
i have tried it with a different filter board,
what happens is when i plug in the treadmill without the belt connected it might run the motor for a while then trip,
but if i plug it in with the belt connected it trips right away,
the main components that make up the treadmil are:
electric DC motor
circuit board,
filter board,
transformer box (i think thats what it is called)

any ideas lads,
thank you

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
When you say "blowing the main trip switch", do you mean one of your house's circuit breakers, or an earth leakage breaker, or a circuit breaker in the treadmill, or something else?

Is the "transformer box" the sole source of power to this device?

Can you describe it (I think it's possible that this is where the problem lies)

richard m

Dec 8, 2010
When you say "blowing the main trip switch", do you mean one of your house's circuit breakers, or an earth leakage breaker, or a circuit breaker in the treadmill, or something else?

Is the "transformer box" the sole source of power to this device?

Can you describe it (I think it's possible that this is where the problem lies)

it blows the house circuit breaker,and earth leakage sometimes
the box is a little like this but there is only 2 orange wires from it,
one to the circuit board and the other to power supply i think,i cant remember,
thanks

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Did you mean to include a link?

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
Why did you replace the transformer? I said it was something I'd suspect, but that means very little.

Looking at that transformer, I would hardly suspect it capable of blowing a main circuit breaker all on its own without some fairly obviously visible damage.

There could even be wiring issues in your house (NO this is not a suggestion to get your house rewired or to buy a new house)

Can you confirm that the problem occurs when the treadmill is plugged into an other outlet? (preferably on another circuit)

If you plug in something else into the same outlet (say a heater) does it operate OK?

Can you confirm that the unit has an earthed plug?

Can you confirm that the power usage in your home (specifically in that circuit) is not already high?

What is the rating of the circuit breaker that breaks?

richard m

Dec 8, 2010
Why did you replace the transformer? I said it was something I'd suspect, but that means very little.

Looking at that transformer, I would hardly suspect it capable of blowing a main circuit breaker all on its own without some fairly obviously visible damage.

There could even be wiring issues in your house (NO this is not a suggestion to get your house rewired or to buy a new house)

Can you confirm that the problem occurs when the treadmill is plugged into an other outlet? (preferably on another circuit)

If you plug in something else into the same outlet (say a heater) does it operate OK?

Can you confirm that the unit has an earthed plug?

Can you confirm that the power usage in your home (specifically in that circuit) is not already high?

What is the rating of the circuit breaker that breaks?

i changed the transformer box because i had one spare so i just tried it,
i have never plugged it into another socket,
but it was in another house,it had a brand new motor in it and there was a burning smell coming from the motor then it just blew and wouldnt work anymore,
i then took the motor apart and everything was black,
there was bits of i dont know what came out of the motor housing,it was like plastic or something,
i then put another 2nd hand motor in and when its under a small load it now just trips the 2nd i plug it in,
im going to take pics of the components and motor during the week and you can see what the ratings are,etc etc,

mav2541015

Dec 20, 2010
sounds like to me that motor is shorted, call manuf. and order brand new one.

richard m

Dec 8, 2010
i came across another treadmill the exact same which is running grand,
so i took out the motor and put it into the treadmill that is causing trouble and it worked no problem,
is there any way i can fix the motor instead of buying one?

mav2541015

Dec 20, 2010
i came across another treadmill the exact same which is running grand,
so i took out the motor and put it into the treadmill that is causing trouble and it worked no problem,
is there any way i can fix the motor instead of buying one?

yes, you're going to have to locate an electric motor repair shop in your area, they will specialize in motor rewinds and electric motor rebuilds. but before you do anything, call around to see if they'll do it first, let them know what's going on with the motor so that they'll have an idea of what's going on, give them the model numbers, part numbers, ect. so that they can tell you if they can do it or not, instead of going there for nothing. if not, call the manufacturer and ask for the parts department or follow automated prompts, and give them all the numbers and get it brand new. when you have the repair shop fix it, make damn sure they put new brushes in it. good luck

Last edited: