Connect with us

Treadmill Motor Board / Motor issue

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by PDM31, Jun 16, 2020.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. PDM31

PDM31

Jun 16, 2020
    I was running on my treadmill a few days when it just went off.

I reached down and the power cable felt loose so i plugged it in and then it came back on. It was only for a few seconds then it went off and blew the breaker in our fuse board.

I've tested the motor in the treadmill by connecting a drill battery and it works fine.
    When i connect the lift motor, LED's etc to the control board the treadmill comes on and stays on.

If i connect the motor to the control board on its own the treadmill goes straight off as soon as you power on and blows the breaker. I'm assuming this is a control board issue? I've had a look at it and the only fuse on there I can see a very small one soldered to the board.

Treadmill is 4 years old.

2. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    From your info and without any good photo closeups of the board to refer to . . . . .it would seem that . . . . .
    AC line power is rectified and then supplied to one or a pair of HEFTY large canned E-caps for the DC supply voltage to drive that DC motor, with a POWER FET being in the ground return of that motor supply.
    It then would be dependent upon that FET's gate being fed with an adjustable pulse width.
    That would be providing short width pulses for low speed and then progressively transitioning to wider pulse width ones to ramp up the motor speed.
    Seems logical that the POWER FET has shorted out and is letting direct, unlimited FULL DC power to the motor upon your plug in and that is just not permitted by that DC power supplies capabilities, so the fuse blows.
    Give us something to see now, since all I can get to come in on my crystal ball, is a flurry of falling white snow flakes..

3. PDM31

PDM31

Jun 16, 2020
    thanks for your reply. Here are pictures of the Motor Control board.

Attached Files:

4. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    There is a position for an unused power FET 1 that is being unpopulated but the one just to its right is installed so take metering and put in lowest ohm scale and short probes together to see an expected reading of test lead resistance and then go to pin 2 and 3 of that FET and expect close to that reading if the unit happens to be shorted from Drain to Source.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  5. PDM31

PDM31

Jun 16, 2020
    I haven't got a meter, and my knowledge of electronics isn't great sorry!

The motor itself has a 10 year warranty, but if it's the board there is a company I can send it away to see if they can repair it.

Do you think it's the board or the motor?

6. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    The board. . . . .got any techno savvy friends ?
    BUT THEN. . . . .should we also suspect that your units failure . . . should have been at the . . .exact WRONG/ COVID time .
    Nor, should we also expect that you have the soldering skill set, to be able to desolder, wick the solder from that units three leads . . .to remove it and then have it out of circuit.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2020
  7. PDM31

PDM31

Jun 16, 2020
    My brother is trainee electrician and he'll have a meter. (i have used one before)

So, am I understanding this correct - I select the lowest ohm setting and touch the two probes together to see the reading. Then I connect the probes to pin 2 and 3 on FET2 (labelled on board), and see if the reading is more or less the same?

If that's correct, when I connect them to FET2 do I need to have other wires connected from the treadmill? Like the power, incline switches, led switches etc?

And if the reading is the same does that mean the FET2 needs replacing or something else on the board?

8. Minder

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
    Incidentally the 30amp PCT (black) relay shows the vent plug (dimple centre) still closed, if that relay is switching any where near its rated value, you can reduce potential problems by opening it, generally they have a dimple that pops off, this reduces the ionization of the interior when switching.
    Minder .;).

Ask a Question