Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Treadmill control board repair.

098.Peter

Mar 29, 2017
I joined the forum to get some advice on how to repair the control board on a treadmill. It is a Keys treadmill and the board is model no. 08-0016. I am not electronics savy, but I did a few tests that I read on earlier posts. The motor runs when attached to an 18 volt drill battery. The incline motor runs. The # 1 fuse is blown, and I have replaced it twice, and it blows after the motor starts and the tread runs for @ 6 inches. So if the problem is with the board, I am looking for somewhere to take it or send it for testing and possible repair. Keys is out of business, and the board is not available except used. I live in the Boston, MA area. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
If a fuse is failing, thrn too much current is being taken. Is this taken by the motor?
What type of motor is it? If a motor with brushes and a commutator, look at the commutator condition. Arcing between segments indicate a bad winding in the armature so a dead motor.
Disconnect the motor and check the current without the control board

098.Peter

Mar 29, 2017
If a fuse is failing, thrn too much current is being taken. Is this taken by the motor?
What type of motor is it? If a motor with brushes and a commutator, look at the commutator condition. Arcing between segments indicate a bad winding in the armature so a dead motor.
Disconnect the motor and check the current without the control board

Thanks for the response...as I said, I am not too savy. I have taken the board out. I have a multimeter...how do I check the current? Do I have to put the board back in?

098.Peter

Mar 29, 2017
Thanks for the response...as I said, I am not too savy. I have taken the board out. I have a multimeter...how do I check the current? Do I have to put the board back in?
I believe it has a 3.0 HP continuous duty motor.

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Generally if the motor looks fine when ran on an automotive battery it should be OK, the mean level of current when starting is around the same level.
The other thing to do is try a incandescent lamp in place of the motor IF it does not have a speed sensor wheel.
Most likely one of the Mosfet's or rectifiers.
M.

098.Peter

Mar 29, 2017
Generally if the motor looks fine when ran on an automotive battery it should be OK, the mean level of current when starting is around the same level.
The other thing to do is try a incandescent lamp in place of the motor IF it does not have a speed sensor wheel.
Most likely one of the Mosfet's or rectifiers.
M.

Thanks I ran the motor from an 18 volt drill battery pack. And I believe the motor does have a speed sensor wheel (there is a green light that flashes on the board when the motor spins.)

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Yes, that makes it harder to sub a lamp etc for test purposes.
You could may be get a local electronic shop to see if they can see any thing and do a cursory test of the mosfets.
M.

Ravi1

Feb 14, 2018
I joined the forum to get some advice on how to repair the control board on a treadmill. It is a Keys treadmill and the board is model no. 08-0016. I am not electronics savy, but I did a few tests that I read on earlier posts. The motor runs when attached to an 18 volt drill battery. The incline motor runs. The # 1 fuse is blown, and I have replaced it twice, and it blows after the motor starts and the tread runs for @ 6 inches. So if the problem is with the board, I am looking for somewhere to take it or send it for testing and possible repair. Keys is out of business, and the board is not available except used. I live in the Boston, MA area. Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Hi can you share the fuse ratings for FUSE1 and FUSE2?