Connect with us

Trays shelfs for SMT components

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by danny davis, May 31, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. danny davis

danny davis

May 9, 2012
    At my work they have all these SMT components , resistors, caps, transistors etc.
    they all come in these film reel to reel rolls.

What do u guys use instead of using these reel to reel rolls? because they take up to much room

Do they have special multiple trays to put SMT components?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    A colleague of mine uses some small specimen bottles used for centrifuging (I think).

I have a collection of these (although they were far cheaper than that)

There's all sorts of stuff available if you want to pay for it Search for "smd (storage,box)" on ebay or look here.

For things that are not static sensitive, the limit is your imagination.

3. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    I was going to add that but go distracted, I only use these bead trays for nonstatic sensitive components, but even a simple hack like lining them with aluminum foil (or conductive foam) will be fine for many static sensitive components...

For through hole stuff and larger stuff, and even ICs in static bags I use these...

http://www.doityourself.com/forum/c...storage-shelves-small-parts-organizers.html#b

4. danny davis

danny davis

May 9, 2012
    So what u use for static sensitive components? u have to use static bags?

Do they have SMD storage trays or

Wouldn't Plastic Drawer be better than using bottles or jars?

5. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Not they have foam you can insert or sandwich the parts in, there are plastics the dissipate the static as well lots of different options...

Do you Google?

Better is an opinion... I use the clear plastic bottles for several reasons... They have a screw on lids so I don't have to worry about spillage... They are clear so I can visually see what is inside (even though I generally mark them on top and bottom)... They are individual containers so I don't need a whole tray or multiple trays on the desktop cluttering it up if I only need 2 or 3 parts or whatever, just grab the appropriate jars... They come in a nice plastic case with lid that holds them neatly and allows for easy stacking like books... And I can get them for cheap at Walmart...

They work for me, the screw on lids being a huge plus in my book, have you ever dumped an open 'tray' of thousands of mixed value SMD resistors and had to resort them? Or worse yet a tray of SMD ceramic caps that generally have NO markings?

6. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    For small quantities you can use these. Although generally I keep small strips of static sensitive stuff in plain plastic bags. Taking them out of the tape will risk damage to their leads.

7. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    I think he's write-only.

8. danny davis

danny davis

May 9, 2012
    SMT SMD Kit anti-static components boxes storage box 20 pcs 20pcs black

This is what i am looking for but what are they called? is there other names

I am looking for anti static trays or storage boxes for SMT parts

Yes I have that's why I am asking , about spoil over problems and when them dump out and get mixed together

9. danny davis

danny davis

May 9, 2012
  10. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Here's a hint, don't share cause it's my Google secret...

Google 'anti static trays'

or

Google 'storage boxes for smt parts'

11. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    Quod erat demonstrandum

12. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Yep, I know of MANY cheaper options... You likely would to, that is if you actually applied yourself...

13. danny davis

danny davis

May 9, 2012
    No I mean a cheap ESD anti static drawer storage box?

14. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Read the info on the cabinet you linked, it's nonconductive plastic thus it's basically just a plastic cabinet, but it's not antistatic aka static dissipative...

And how many sensitive component do honestly need at your desk at any given time?

15. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    What do you want the storage for?

1) Long term storage of a stock of components? (for storage prior to picking of components)

2) Storage of components for a particular project? (i.e. for storage between picking and use)

3) Storage of parts you just keep on your bench? (kinda a desk organiser)

For the first, I retain things in reels, rolls of tape, tubes, etc. Basically how they came from the supplier. They are stored in boxes on shelves, numbered and catalogued.

For the second I either take the stock of components and place it in a project box or I cut off a small section of tape and place it in a new labelled bag. Alternatively stick the component (or piece of tape) onto the parts list, schematic, or even the PCB layout.

For the third... Well, I don't do anything special here. I've mentioned what a colleague does earlier.

For me, I really don't need to take special precautions for ESD acceptable parts because I keep them in their original packaging pretty much until use. If you do likewise, you can get away with containers that are not especially ESD safe.

But really we can't help until you describe exactly what the purpose of your storage is. Also address what is being stored (component packages and in what form, loose, cut tape, etc)

I *DID* go down the route of getting small ESD safe storage boxes, but I found they were not really useful and they remain empty.

16. danny davis

danny davis

May 9, 2012
    yes i'm looking for a desk organizer for SMT , SMD components

I just want to go to look with a shelf tray for SMT, SMD components that look like a tool chest with draws to pull out that can all the resistors, capacitors, transistors, diodes I need and its easy and portable

What is cheap that's out there?

17. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
  18. (*steve*)

Jan 21, 2010
    You may have overlooked one of the earlier posts that contains what appears to be exactly what you need.

It's the second post in this thread (right after your original question).

If this is not suitable, you're going to have to say why.

19. danny davis

danny davis

May 9, 2012
Ask a Question