Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Transmit Information over Radio Signal

elmousa68

Apr 27, 2011
This is not a question about specific circuit details; rather it is more like about the idea. I need to transmit some information (might be a name or an address or simply a number) over radio. The intended range is about 500 meters to 1000 meters.

1. Is it better to use AM or FM?
2. Does a transmitter of this kind need to have an (external) antenna for this range?
3. What is the range at which an antenna is not needed?
4. If the signal is to carry information stored in a chip (e.g. EPROM), can you tell me how it will be added to the radio signal? (For instance, if the information is a number composed of 6 digits) and how will the receiver get the information from the signal?

It is common knowledge that radio carries an audio signal, but it this case it is information stored on a chip...

I appreciate your help.

Gryd3

Jun 25, 2014
This is not a question about specific circuit details; rather it is more like about the idea. I need to transmit some information (might be a name or an address or simply a number) over radio. The intended range is about 500 meters to 1000 meters.

1. Is it better to use AM or FM?
2. Does a transmitter of this kind need to have an (external) antenna for this range?
3. What is the range at which an antenna is not needed?
4. If the signal is to carry information stored in a chip (e.g. EPROM), can you tell me how it will be added to the radio signal? (For instance, if the information is a number composed of 6 digits) and how will the receiver get the information from the signal?

It is common knowledge that radio carries an audio signal, but it this case it is information stored on a chip...

I appreciate your help.
Do some digging prior... unlicensed use is heavily restricted, and you can get yourself into trouble by broadcasting incorrectly.
As far as the actual signalling is concerned. The simplest way I think for you to tackle this would be something similar to a modem. Using audible signalling to represent values. Of course, you need an encoder and decoder for this.
(Think something like morse-code, or dialing on a house phone... the DTMF tones... These can be easy to work with)

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
It would help if you described in some detail exactly what you hope to accomplish. What radio frequencies do you intend to use, what is the power input to the transmitter, how fast and how accurately do you want to send (and receive?) addresses or names or "numbers stored in a chip" and where is that chip is located and how is the data is to be retrieved for transmitting?

There are all sorts of licensed as well as unlicensed ISM (Industrial, Scientific, Medical) frequency bands available world wide, but the particular frequencies, and whether licensed or unlicensed operation is permitted, vary by country and transmitter power.

Where do you plan to operate this rig?

Visit this link and then let us discuss this. See also this link. For ideas on what is commercially available visit this link, and also this link for help selecting an ISM band appropriate to your needs.

Last edited: