Connect with us

Transistors!

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by SB0202022, Nov 7, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. SB0202022

SB0202022

Oct 27, 2010
    So when I place a transistor in a circuit, just assume a VERY basic circuit as shown in the diagram, how do I determine how much this transistor is amplifying the signal in terms of voltage, such as how do I know if I place the transistor in that same place as the diagram shows, it could amplify the signal that much? Could someone either explain the math to me, or possibly direct me to a tutorial that could?

Attached Files:

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    It's not amplifying voltage at all.

It's amplifying current.

And you can find a range of expected values for this gain in the datasheet. Look for HFE

3. SB0202022

SB0202022

Oct 27, 2010
    Thank you! And one last thing, in your opinion, what is a good starting project for a starting electrical engineer? Involving transistors of course, to gain a better understanding of them.

4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Understanding how they operate would be a good starting point.

As to whether you start from a theoretical basis, or from a practical one; it depends on whether you're a theoretical or a practical kinda guy.

5. john monks

john monks

Mar 9, 2012
    I think a good thing to do is to think of some fun device such as a metronome or a theramine or a crystal controlled audio oscillator for tunig a guitar or piano. Just think of something you might want around the house. Try to draw up a schematic and see if it works. Or come up with an idea and post it on the forum and we can all have fun with it. You might look at some circuits in popular electronics, QST magazine, or the ARRL handbook and copy them.
    I firmly believe that playing with circuits is essential to learning electronics.

6. wingnut

wingnut

Aug 9, 2012
Ask a Question