Connect with us

transistor in saturation mode

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by srikar, Oct 2, 2015.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. srikar

srikar

Oct 2, 2015
    what I know is
    whatever may be the configuration (ce cb or cc)

In active region

Base emitter junction is forward biased and collector base junction is reverse biased

In cutoff region

Both the junctions are reverse biased

In saturation region

Both the junctions are forward biased

lets now divert our attention towards the working of the transistor in the saturation region

yesterday I was reading a book named electronic devices and circuits by david a bell .(page number 159 5th edition )
    in that he wrote that

“if Vce went down to exactly zero volts , the collector base junction would become forward biased by 0.7v .in this case the collector base barrier voltage would be overcome and charge carriers from the emitter would be repelled from the collector base junction “and due to some things which were explained later in the book it doesnot happen so some collector current will flow so the voltage will Vce(sat)=0.2Vthis means the collector current should decrease as cb becomes forward biased

let us now see CB configuration output characteristics of a npn transistor

http://www.nptel.ac.in/courses/117107095/lecturers/lecture_11/images/fig7.jpg (pls see this link for characteristics)
    as we can see sir if we decrease the voltage Vcb below zero we know that collector base junction will start to become forward biased (if it reaches 0.7v then it will become CB junction will become forward biased ) . So as the cb junction is starting to become forward biased (i.e,. as Vcb<0 ) then collector current is starting to decrease .
    so as said above it is happening . So its fair.
    But my question is that it is not happening in the ce configuration
    when Vce reaches Vce(sat) maximum current is passing through the collector . How come this can happen ? How come transistor allows maximum current in the saturation region.
    the reason I am asking this is, in saturation region the collector base junction which is forward biased should repel all the charge carriers from the emitter . but still we all get maximum current flowing through the transistor when it is in saturation mode (applied that it is operating in the ce configuration )

how come max current flow in ce but very least current flow in the cb configuration when the transistor is taken to their saturation region ?

2. dorke

dorke

Jun 20, 2015
    Let me start by saying you can not compare apples to oranges.
    The graphs are of the output characteristics(I -V curve)
    in C.E VCE vs. IC
    in C.B VCB vs IC
    The input is different as well iB vs iE

For further understanding look here:
    I think you will like the content as well as the accent ;)

part1
    part2

3. wrighty

wrighty

Aug 1, 2009
    Because the CB junction never becomes forward biased.

Ask a Question