Connect with us

Transistor in a Halloween Prop

Discussion in 'Datasheets, Manuals and Component Identification' started by scorn001, Oct 19, 2018.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. scorn001

scorn001

Oct 19, 2018
    I'm looking for a replacement to a transistor in an old Halloween prop I'm in the process of repairing.

On the part itself, I'm seeing "HSB772", however Googling that seems to lead me to a TO-126L package part. This one looks like a TO-92, which I think would a "HSB772S" possibly.

I've found data sheets for the part, but that's about as far as I can get. I'm unable to find a location to purchase that part, and I'm unable to find an available replacement - and being a software guy - I really don't have the expertise.

Hoping someone else will have a little more knowledge than I.

Pic of the component in question is attached.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    It's probably a 2SB772 given the way those numbering system go and the datasheet I found for that one seems correct too.
    The device has blown quite spectacularly indicating other issues apart from the destroyed device - can you post a wider picture of the area?

3. 73's de Edd

73's de Edd

Aug 21, 2015
    Sir scorn001 . . . . .

Q21 assignment tells us that this little puppy must be absolutely stuffed with other transistors. ( Circa '80's vintage construction)
    The nearby TIP ??? power transistor might be a like candidate for having crashed and dumped into this unit in case this unit is being its driver.

73's de Edd

Richard9025 likes this.
  4. scorn001

scorn001

Oct 19, 2018

This device drives a motor that opens a set of curtains in the front, revealing the "All Seeing Zultan!". That part had failed previously, and my children desperately wanted to see and play with in. So I physically fixed the curtains open with some wire. When that motor failed, and then the repeated use caused the failure is my guess. A smart person would have unplugged the motor connector :).

That motor did test bad, it's possible there are other failure points though.

I've attached more photos.

Attached Files:

5. scorn001

scorn001

Oct 19, 2018
    This thing was actually marketed and sold back 2006-2007 I believe. I'm thinking the failure of the motor this part was driving was possibly the cause of the failure?

Thank you.

6. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Yup, I'd go with testing/replacing the larger transistor that drives the motor too.

7. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    In what way 'bad' - a motor will test as good as a 'short-circuit' under even normal measuring techniques.
    Just apply power to the motor directly (battery?) and see if it does as it should.

8. scorn001

scorn001

Oct 19, 2018
    Yes, sorry I should have been more clear. I applied power with a bench supply - no workie.

9. kellys_eye

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
    Motor bustie.

New motor, new transistor(s), fixie, fixie.

scorn001 likes this.
Ask a Question