Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Transistor bias configuration

M.Sridhar

Sep 16, 2015
transistor bias configuration

how does transistor work in self bias condition and how it is used in various devices

Last edited by a moderator:

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
@ M Sridhar
You have hijacked someone else's thread. That' considered bad practice. You should start your own thread in the appropriate forum if you expect help.

Ian

Administrator
Aug 23, 2006
@M.Sridhar - I've moved your posts to a new thread. As Alec has mentioned, please create a new thread for your topics rather than posting in an unrelated thread. Also, please give us a little more information on your current understanding, we're not Google or an encyclopaedia ;).

Alec_t

Jul 7, 2015
In answer to your question, Googling "transistor biasing" gives lots of hits for tutorials and other educational resources to help you.

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
transistor bias configuration

how does transistor work in self bias condition and how it is used in various devices

The way a transistor works is not affected by the way it is biased. A transistor responds to voltage on its input and output, and does not care how that voltage is developed.

The applications are countless and limited only by the imagination.

Ratch

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Sorry Ratch, I couldn't resist it.
Everything anybody would ever want to know about transistors is here.

Martin

Your link points to a somewhat long thread. With which posts in that thread do you agree? Not every post in that thread contains correct information.

Ratch

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
"The way a transistor works is not affected by the way it is biased. A transistor responds to voltage on its input and output, and does not care how that voltage is developed."

Completely wrong.

The way a transistor works is GREATLY affected by the way it is biased. A transistor responds to CURRENT on its input.

See http://www.talkingelectronics.com/projects/TheTransistorAmplifier/TheTransistorAmplifier-P1.html

No, you are wrong about that. And so is "Talking Electronics" if they aver that. Here is the reason why. Once a transistor is fabricated, nothing anyone can do externally will change its internal operation. It will operate the same way no matter what circuitry or voltages are attached to it. This principle is analogous to an op-amp. By attaching various components to the inputs and providing feedback from the output, you can make just about any electronic function you can imagine. But, now you have a circuit containing an op-amp, not just the op amp alone. The op-amp, by itself within the circuit, still acts like a dual high gain amplifier. So it is the op-amp circuit that provides the electronic function it is designed to do, not just the op-amp itself. In other words, the op-amp is not manufactured to be an inverting-amplifier or whatever else. The circuit itself is what makes a particular amplifier. Similarly, a transistor by itself is a transconductance amplifier, not a current amplifier. It can be made into a current amplifier circuit by adding a lot of resistance in its base circuit or driving it with a current generator which, in effect, adds a lot of resistance to the base circuit. So a transistor by itself is not a current amplifier for the reason that it responds to its base voltage. The base current is a indicator of the collector current, but it does not control the collector current. The physics of the BJT prove that.

Ratch

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Your link points to a somewhat long thread. With which posts in that thread do you agree? Not every post in that thread contains correct information.

Ratch
To be honest it was a fascinating thread to read. It was clear that physics had an advantage.
But to say "which posts I agree with" would be unfair. I wouldn't want to appear BIASED! :p

Martin

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
Reading some of these replies makes me want to pop some corn and crack open some beer. Then I'm going to sit back and enjoy the bloody carnage. Unfortunately the OP is going to be left more confused than when he posted the question.

Chris

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013
Reading some of these replies makes me want to pop some corn and crack open some beer. Then I'm going to sit back and enjoy the bloody carnage. Unfortunately the OP is going to be left more confused than when he posted the question.

Chris

If the OP asks an involved and open question, he/she has to be prepared for a indefinite answer and a possible involved discussion afterwards..

Ratch

CDRIVE

Hauling 10' pipe on a Trek Shift3
May 8, 2012
If the OP asks an involved and open question, he/she has to be prepared for a indefinite answer and a possible involved discussion afterwards..

Ratch

As I stated, I'm just going to sit back like a Roman watching a Colosseum spectacle.

Chris

Minder

Apr 24, 2015
Then of course there is a few types of transistors all having different characteristics, current bias to voltage bias.
Bi-polar.
Mosfet.
BJT etc.
M.

Attachments

• FET2n7000.pdf
    831 KB · Views: 90

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
As I stated, I'm just going to sit back like a Roman watching a Colosseum spectacle.
There are no professional gladiators in this Colosseum, except, possibly for the moderators. Entertainment here is provided by spectators willing to jump down on the blood & sand to make the good kill. Also, the zombies will rise again! How many times do you need to kill the same zombie before it becomes just a boring chore?

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
A transistor responds to voltage on its input and output, and does not care how that voltage is developed.
Indeed that is true; which is why BJT bias networks are designed to forward bias the base-emitter junction with a current in order to have the junction develop the corresponding voltage. As you said, the transistor doesn't care. Circuit designers do not care much what particular value Vbe actually is, just that it is one standard diode drop. Transistor biasing does not control the junction voltage, it controls the base current.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
ERM,
Indeed that is true; which is why BJT bias networks are designed to forward bias the base-emitter junction with a current in order to have the junction develop the corresponding voltage. As you said, the transistor doesn't care. Circuit designers do not care much what particular value Vbe actually is, just that it is one standard diode drop. Transistor biasing does not control the junction voltage, it controls the base current.
Hehe, this is fantastic. But should really remain here.
I admire you for sticking by your guns. I will continue to read that thread. Although it is over my head, it really is a good thread to get your teeth into,

Martin

Ratch

Mar 10, 2013

Yes, one can set the base current by making Vbe comply with the desired value. As long as it is realized that the Vbe is controlling the base and collector current even if the value of Vbe is unknown at the base current value. It is ambiguous to say that the voltage or current is being biased because they are in a one to one relationship with each other.

Ratch