Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Transforming hammer help

keyblade_crafter

Dec 1, 2015
So I've decided to make this transforming hammer, and I'm going to need to some help with terminology and figuring out how to make it since I'm a newbie to this sort of thing.

Basically, the hammer transforms from a "hammer form" to a "cannon form", where the sides split apart and slide out and down and 4 telescopic cylinders come out. I believe that it's triggered by the red lever just under the hammer head either twisting, or squeezing it in as a switch.

jaycemercuryhammer1.png

jaycemercuryhammer.png

Now I have an idea of how it will move, but I don't have much of a clue what parts to use to make it move or what they would be called. I'll probably need some sort of linear actuator or slide to make the sides split apart. Maybe a stepper motor for making them open up.

Any help at all would be appreciated!

Last edited:

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Are you being serious?
You want to make a complex item but don't know what anything is called?
May be you should lay off the cartoons!!
And, you believe it's triggered by a red lever under the hammer head?
Sorry for being rude.....It just made me spit my tea on the keyboard!!! (coffee for Yanks)...

But seriously, if you have an idea of how to make this, please share!!

Martin

keyblade_crafter

Dec 1, 2015
I mean, I'm just trying to learn. No need to be rude. I'm currently searching for the names of pieces and motors I might need to make it. I want to get some high speed linear actuators for the telescoping parts, some sort of extrusion slides to make the sides split apart, but i'm not sure what to use to make the ends slide out at an angle.

I realize that I can't just pull a lever and make it transform instantly. I could maybe pull the handle in to close a circuit and power the motors via a chargable battery in the pole of the hammer, or if I could twist the ring the handle is connected to into postion to close the circuit and move it back to cut the power. All i'm asking for is some help finding the right parts to make it move correctly. If you have a suggestion for a company or specific name of the motor that would be helpful.

keyblade_crafter

Dec 1, 2015
If you could help me do that, that would be great! The reason I wanted to go electric was for the speed of the transformation, but mechanical will work just fine. I'm making a blueprint of the hammer right now, but if you come up with anything in particular that'd be awesome!

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
I think you need to better visualize how this would work before trying to power it up. As @shrtrnd suggested, a mechanical model would be my first step in a design. You can add electro-mechanical actuators later once you have a better idea of the size and weight limitations that will determine what is available and affordable. How many of these do you want to make? A 3D printer would be a possibility for making a mechanical prototype. Here in Dayton OH you can rent time on 3D printers at "maker bars" if you don't have or cannot afford to buy one.

keyblade_crafter

Dec 1, 2015
I only want to make one. I can make the pieces for this myself, and I know someone in kentucky who has access to a first build to 3d print or use pretty much any kind of machinery.

As for the mechanics, Would you all say I'm correct in thinking of using a linear actuator for the telescoping parts, and an extrusion slide for splitting the hammer? I'm still not sure how I would make the outer pieces slide down and out.

Unfortunately, I'm only planning this project right now and trying to get an idea for building it until I actually have time to start it. Making blueprints, acquiring pieces I can't make, learning about electric bits.

shrtrnd

Jan 15, 2010
Think of some of the small toys manufacturers make for action-figure accessories. Just bigger.
Spring-loaded tubes and guides will activate plenty fast enough. Just realize this is a complex and time-consuming project.
Everything has to spring-out and lock in place, then be able to retract back into your hammer (manually is easier for retracting).
I doubt anybody has plans for this on the table for you here right now, but if you're willing to put in the time to research and design your
'weapon', people here can offer helpful advice. Nobody will want to do this for you, you have to be willing to put the effort into it yourself.

keyblade_crafter

Dec 1, 2015
I have no deadline to finish this. Like I said I'm only in the planning stage right now. Once I finish the blueprints, I have to finish a couple other projects before I can start making the parts. Thank you all for the help so far!

keyblade_crafter

Dec 1, 2015
Seems it contracts when an electric current is applied to it. Could be useful for the telescopes and some parts near the base of the hammer.

Javier Manzano

Nov 26, 2015
Dat Jayce weapon hahaha

Honestly, I would exploit the fact that it's symmetrical and make it, as they said previously, purely mechanical. One lever and you got it. Moreover, I'd also say I can distinguish three parts in the design: the main hammer handle, two head halves, and the hinges that bring those two halves together with the small hammer head. I kinda have a clear picture in my head... but it's difficult to bring it down to words.

Oh, and I lol'ed so hard with Martin's spat tea, damn :p

keyblade_crafter

Dec 1, 2015
Ayy you know what it is haha. I know what you mean, it's a bit hard to express it. It'll help that you know what I'm trying to do.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Check out 'colinfurze' youtube channel. He makes lots of working weapons from cartoons.
You may be able to get ideas for the slider from his Wolverine claw video.

Martin

keyblade_crafter

Dec 1, 2015
I found this site that has a lot of servomechanical parts for robot building. I think these linear ball bearings will be very helpful when I'm making the tracks and telescopes. I've got a friend coming to visit from kentucky who happens to be an engineer working with GE, and he will definitely be helpful.

hevans1944

Hop - AC8NS
Jun 21, 2012
@keyblade_crafter : re-circulating ball bearing slides are my favorite for linear motion, but I didn't realize they are now available so inexpensively! Maybe I will resurrect those stepper motors I have stashed away somewhere and build an X-Y-Z something or other... maybe a CNC laser cutter with autofocus? I already have a nice Roland pen plotter that I could re-purpose for exposing circuit boards with a UV laser diode, but my wife wants me to build a 3D printer for her and that requires those ball bearing slides... Thanks for the link.

Martaine2005

May 12, 2015
Did you actually look at the channel I suggested?
I think you will be surprised how much work is involved in a simple project.

Martin

keyblade_crafter

Dec 1, 2015
@Martaine2005

I did look at it and I have seen his stuff before, but I didn't see anything that really jumped out at me as helpful for this project, though it is a lot of cool stuff.