Connect with us

transformer

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by seankee101, Apr 26, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. seankee101

seankee101

Apr 26, 2013
  2. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    What 2 outputs are you looking for? Do they share a common ground, or must they be isolated from each other?

Bob

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi there
    welcome to the forums :)

You do understand that the transformer output is a 15V - 0V - 15V output
    it HAS 2 outputs ;) each one is 15VAC

the 0V wire is your common wire

Dave

4. BobK

BobK

Jan 5, 2010
    Unless he wants 2 isolated outputs. Which is what I assumed when he is talking about cutting the windings.

Bob

5. quantumtangles

quantumtangles

Dec 19, 2012
    Is it a transformer which acts as a voltage divider? Which is to say, is the supply voltage 30 volts, (voltage into the device) but (instead of using resistors in parallel as in a conventional voltage divider), the ratio of windings results in a split power supply comprised of three terminals.

One of the three terminals is +15v. The central terminal is zero volts and the third terminal is -15v?

I think you may already have two outputs, using a common ground (the central zero volt terminal). Check out whether the 15v outputs are respectively +15v and -15v using a multimeter. If so (subject to the views of more august entities here present) it may be you have two outputs already.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2013
  6. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    No, they're all AC.

7. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    yup possibly :) but he hasnt come back to confirm that ....

regardless, it would take little effort to split the loop that comes out onto the 0V terminal
    and easily produce 2 separate windings. No digging into the transformer required

Dave

8. quantumtangles

quantumtangles

Dec 19, 2012
    Sorry Steve. I understand now.

9. quantumtangles

quantumtangles

Dec 19, 2012
    The basic mistake I made was this.

Transformers require alternating current to work. They cannot work with direct current. Doh.

Ask a Question