Connect with us

Transformer/Rectifier repair

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting and Repair' started by Bruce Allen, Oct 26, 2017.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Bruce Allen

    Bruce Allen

    Oct 26, 2017
    I bought an erosion tracking tester from a company in China. The equipment is used to test insulating materials according to the IEC 60587 standard. If a material under test is perforated or catches fire it is not a good candidate for a specific electrical environment. Also, sustained leakage currents on the material surface are considered a failure.
    The unit arrived and 4 days later developed an oil leak. Looking inside the unit I can see a transformer/rectifier that is 12"x12"x16" that has a white casing. I think it's plastic. The manufacturer says I should be able to add/replace the oil inside it using No. 25 transformer oil. Usually I look on amazon and ebay for such items and of course I can't find this oil. The manufacturer says they can't mail it to me. Does anyone know of a supplier? Does anyone know if No. 25 transformer oil is a normal and customary name for what I need? The oil has a low viscosity and is very clear.

    Thank you in advance,

  2. kellys_eye


    Jun 25, 2010
    Googling it seems to reveal plenty of results - I'm surprised you can't get some locally (assuming you're close or in a large-ish city).
  3. Minder


    Apr 24, 2015
    Try the local Power service provider for a recommendation or source.
    Also try a local motor rewinder, submersible pumps use this oil so they may have a source.
  4. Bruce Allen

    Bruce Allen

    Oct 26, 2017
    Thank you for the feedback. My google searches are not as good as yours. If you could tell me what you searched on? Is the local power service provider the "electric company?"
  5. Bluejets


    Oct 5, 2014
    In Aus, we get transformer oil at the local petroleum depot.
    (Allbeit 20 litres at a time)
    Perhaps a local pump/irrigation motor service agent will be able to assist?
  6. Minder


    Apr 24, 2015
    Yes, they should certainly offer a source.
  7. 73's de Edd

    73's de Edd

    Aug 21, 2015
    Sir Bruce . . . . .

    Yep . . . . the ones who put up and store, maintain and handle the line transformers and substations.
    Give us your closest BIG town and maybe we can research . . . as that stuff is most
    commonly sold in 55 gal drums or minimal 5 gallon sizes . . . . and I am suspecting that you
    would most likely be wanting a " FREEBIE " handout from a found and concerned individual.

    I was initially thinking of the 50 series silicone stuff . . . . but # 25 is not being nearly that
    exotic . We used the # 50 silicone in radar modulators.
    PLUS, being sealed , we always had the top 5% volume left void for expansion.

    73's de Edd
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  8. Terry01


    Jul 5, 2017

    Submersible pumps! That brought an unexpected smile!

    Before having to quit working due to multiple sclerosis I worked in a roads and sewers gang. Mostly deep stuff so in amongst small water tables and stuff. The laughs I have had getting guys to prime a 4 stroke water pump while it's running! For those who don't know it's like a 9 inch water main going off,it goes straight up about 20 feet.......and you guessed....straight back down!!
    When your in a track there's not anywhere to run!

    It's the funniest thing ever! Everyone should get to see it at least once in their life!

Ask a Question
Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?
You'll need to choose a username for the site, which only take a couple of moments (here). After that, you can post your question and our members will help you out.
Electronics Point Logo
Continue to site
Quote of the day