Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Transformer primaries 90 degree phase difference

Mr Ed

Oct 6, 2017
The schematic is a circuit I am designing. The current through the leg with the inductor and capacitor in series must be 90 degrees offset from the other leg. The rectified current pulses through both legs must be equal. How do I calculate the values of the inductor and capacitor in series? The reactance of both legs would have to be equal for the current to be equal.

The offset pulses from the two primaries combine to form another pulse which is offset from both.

Lenz-Free.png

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
The bridge rectifier will put DC through L1 which will saturate and burn out.
C1 will charge up and stop current passing through L2.

You will not get 90 degrees offset, you may be able to approach it with certain capacitor values and loads.

Have you tried a simulation?

Mr Ed

Oct 6, 2017
Wouldn't it put dc pulses through l1 and l2? I am attempting to simulate a single phase motor only on a transformer with rectified DC.

(*steve*)

¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd
Jan 21, 2010
But in that case you're applying AC, not pulsed DC.

Mr Ed

Oct 6, 2017
The example is applying AC. However I wish to use rectified AC (dc pulses).

duke37

Jan 9, 2011
Putting rectified AC through an inductance gives a steadily increasing current. If the resistance is zero, the current will rise to infinity. Not likely to be obtained in practice. With a large inductance such as a motor, the pulses will be smoothed to give an almost constant current.

An AC squirrel cage motor needs an AC drive to provide the rotating magnetic field. DC fed to this winding will give a strong braking action and is used to stop various machines such as saws in emergency, the energy goes into the rotor.