Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Tractor fuel sender not working

Djmatt2012

Sep 23, 2017
I have a John Deere x724 tractor and fuel sender doesn't run. I can start tractor with gas in carb. Brought new fuel sender, but same problem. Must be electrical?

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
Fuel sender? You mean the fuel METER sender? or the fuel PUMP?

The fuel meter not working won't stop the engine getting fuel. A fuel pump problem will.

Kiwi

Jan 28, 2013
"Fuel sender? You mean the fuel METER sender? or the fuel PUMP?"

As advised, a non operating fuel gauge on the dash won't usually prevent the engine from running. The exception would be if the fuel tank unit, or gauge, is linked to the engine control system to stop the engine before it totally runs out of fuel.

Also, this is probably not the best forum for these sort of questions. Might be better to go to one that deals with JD equipment, or ride on lawnmowers.

Djmatt2012

Sep 23, 2017
It's actually the fuel pump, John Deere calls it the fuel sender. I got a new one but it didn't fix the issue.

kellys_eye

Jun 25, 2010
If the 'sender' isn't running then the supply is missing. It's presumably powered from the ignition circuit via a fuse.

For equipment of the age you're talking about it's common for moisture to get into the wiring - look at the connectors at the end of the wire and where you should see 'copper' wire going into the cable insulation, you'll probably see that it's very dark/black. Simple corrosion that can creep into the crimped part of the connector and make the termination 'poor' - to say the lest.

Simplest solution, and most reliable, would be to run a wire direct from the fuel sender fuse back to the sender itself, clipping it in place (or running it through any existing conduit) and using new crimps either end.

Also make sure any terminals on the sender or fuse holder are clean and visibly 'copper-coloured'.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
Probe for +12V at the 'sender' supply wire turning the ignition key 'on'

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
Could be the fuel shutoff relay or one of the safety switches faulty i.e. brake switch, seat switch. Really need to get yourself a wiring diagram and work your way from the ignition switch . Note that some of these will run the pump only a couple of seconds at switch on and then wait for the engine run signal. Latter may not be present problem but it may throw you off the track further on. Should be able to get a diagram online, John Deere being a popular brand.

Djmatt2012

Sep 23, 2017
I started tracing the wiring harness and found an inline fuse. I didn't even need to buy a fuse because I already had one. Wish I would have found it before the $307 was spent on a new fuel pump. In any case, problem solved, 10amp fuse. Thanks all for your input.

Externet

Aug 24, 2009
It is normal to pay a price for guessing instead of diagnosing.