Connect with us

Totaly Stumped

Discussion in 'Electronics Homework Help' started by shorteddiode, Nov 2, 2012.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. shorteddiode

shorteddiode

Mar 23, 2011
    I attached the question right out of the book. I have re-read the entire unit and am lost, How do you figure the voltages with the information given? :confused:

Attached Files:

2. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
  3. shorteddiode

shorteddiode

Mar 23, 2011
    OK, I think reading the link it finally clicked. So the source voltage would be 300 volts, the voltage between A & C would be 200 volts and the voltage between B&D would be 200 volts. Is that correct?

4. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    That is correct...

5. shorteddiode

shorteddiode

Mar 23, 2011
    Thanks CocaCola, I don't know why it seemed so hard

6. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Sometimes a different worded explanation makes all the difference...

Trust me you are not alone in being totally lost only to discover the obvious answer that causes a facepalm...

7. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    I think that you may have lost sight of the fact that this is an AC circuit with reactance and resistance so the voltage at each point will be a phasor voltage where the inductive phasor leads the current and the capacitive phasor lags the current. So plot the AB, BC, and CD voltages on a phasor diagram then add them together to get the source voltage. Each phasor will have the same 100V magnitude, but what about phase cancellation?

8. shorteddiode

shorteddiode

Mar 23, 2011
    OK< I understand the phasor voltage, but can you explain about phase cancellation
    I found out the source voltage is not 300 volts, the hard way

9. CocaCola

CocaCola

Apr 7, 2012
    Guilty as charged...

10. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Look at this

You have something a little more complex, but considering the driven LC case first should yield some insight.

11. shorteddiode

shorteddiode

Mar 23, 2011
    I used the Pythagorean theorem Vs= the square root of Rv squared plus (Lv-Lc) squared and came up with a voltage source of 100 volts AC. Right??
    So how do I figure the voltage between A,C and B,D?

12. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    I also calculated that Vs=Vr. Another way to view it is that since Vc=Vl, the capacitor and inductor are in series resonance so the effective reactance is zero and the full source voltage appears across the resistor. This is easy to see on a phasor diagram where Vr has no phase shift in reference to the current, and Vc lags by 90 degrees while Vl leads by 90 degrees. So the resistive voltage and reactive voltage drops are two sides of a right triangle when being added together.

13. shorteddiode

shorteddiode

Mar 23, 2011
    So Laplace are you saying the voltage across the capacitor and inductor would be 0?

14. Laplace

Laplace

Apr 4, 2010
    If the full source voltage appears across the resistor, then what else is left to drop across the capacitor and inductor?

15. shorteddiode

shorteddiode

Mar 23, 2011
    nothing, That makes sense, thanks

16. shorteddiode

shorteddiode

Mar 23, 2011
    OK Guys here are the answers I was given after the re-test, Thanks for all the help guys

1 source voltage 100 volts AC
    2 Between A and C 0 volts AC
    3 Between B and D 141 volts AC
    4 Between A and D 100 volts AC

Ask a Question