Connect with us

Totall Newbie needs help

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Jdenn4, Feb 18, 2011.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Jdenn4

Jdenn4

Feb 13, 2011
    Ok so I have an Idea i just dont have the educational background to prdocue the item. I can read basic scematics and can solder but that is the extent of my knowledge.

What i am looking to do is using parts readily available from radio shack, Create a light set up. which includes

2 Red LED's (blinking at the same time)
    2 White LED's (blinking at the same time not in unison with the red ones)
    5 Steady white LEDS
    1 Steady Red LED
    1 Steady White LED

Smaller LED's of course (round)

Which i can plug in to a wall outlet.

essentially what i want to do is add lighting to a Model airliner i am boing to be building I dont need an elaborate circuit board perhaps just the peg-hole style cut to fit. However I have no clue what resistors and other circuitry required to make this project work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Have a look at this thread. It tells you an awful lot about how to drive LEDs.

There are a number of flashing LEDs you can purchase and that may ease your task if you don't want them to flash in any particular order. (See here and here).

In some cases you can place additional LEDs in series with flashing LEDs and they will flash in time with them. This may allow you to have one of the relatively dim flashing LEDs flash a brighter (and different colour) LED. The datasheets for these LEDs may indicate if you can do this.

You could probably use an old phone charger as a power source.

This may be enough to get you going, but please feel free to ask more questions.

3. Jdenn4

Jdenn4

Feb 13, 2011
    thanks steve i appreciate it i really would like to start from scratch if possible, the big thing with many flashing LED's out there is trying to wire them together in a set up with the steady burning ones. not to hard im sure but for me i am clueless.

Ask a Question