Connect with us

Total noob cant make switch work

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by tvance929, Jan 19, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. tvance929

tvance929

Jan 19, 2014
    So I am pretty much a total beginner. I bought a solderless breadboard, tore apart a toy for a power source. I have 3 AA's in my power source ... I've attached a resistor and an led. This worked as well as a second led and even a little motor.

I was pretty happy with my little victories but now I'm stumped. I purchased a small little toggle switch and thought that I should be able to stick it in the same row as one of my led's and just turn it on and off but I cannot get it to work. The led stays lit no matter what I do with the switch.

I was just sticking the switch onto the breadboard then thought that maybe it wasnt going in deep enough so I attached wires...but NOTHING.

I tried just running a single aa as a power source to tried turning my little motor off and on but NOTHING.

I cant seem to make it break the circuit... what am I missing?

2. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    If its a standard switch with three contacts. Connect the middle pin to one side of the battery and anyone of the other contacts. If this does not work can you send a picture of the switch.
    Adam

3. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    hi there
    welcome to the forums :)

you have probably placed it along some tracks so its effectively getting shorted out

show us a sharp and well lit pic of your breadboard construction so we can help identify the error :)

cheers
    Dave

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  4. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    no its not see the link ;)

just a 2 pin one

OHH and those pics will be too big to push into a standard BB you will need to solder some short lengths of wire onto it first
    if you try pushing the switch contacts into the BB you are likely to damage the BB contacts

Dave

Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  5. tvance929

tvance929

Jan 19, 2014
    Here's one -- I put a bigger version here.

ALSO YOU SAID "OHH and those pics will be too big to push into a standard BB you will need to solder some short lengths of wire onto it first
    if you try pushing the switch contacts into the BB you are likely to damage the BB contacts" -- DaveNN ... Im assuming you are talking about the pins but they are not very long at all...and the red case stops them from going in to deep... I was actually worried they were not going in far enough and that is why I added the jumpers.

Just an FYI.

THANKS FOR YOU HELP BTW!

Attached Files:

• bb1.jpg
      bb1.jpg
      File size:
      151.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2014
  6. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    :)Yeah sorry dave, the blue was quite faint, missed that. I wish they would just put the link to the component in full. Gets me every time.

7. tvance929

tvance929

Jan 19, 2014
    Is it possible the switch could be bad or could my voltage have anything to do with it? (too low maybe)

8. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    I think you need to move the lower wire and the link to the top of the resistor over one space. Looks like the swich is shorted I.e they are on the same line. Have not used bread board for 25 years so might be wrong

9. tvance929

tvance929

Jan 19, 2014
    That was it! Thanks so much guys! I had to move the switch outside of the resistor and it probably needed to have one end outside the row as well... I guess.

Heres a working pic.

Attached Files:

10. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    that's better .... well done :)

you can now see how the boards are wired and why I suggested earlier that you probably had the switch shorted out :)

BB's are great for testing and experimenting before using a more permanent circuit board like Veroboard or an etched PCB

Dave

11. tvance929

tvance929

Jan 19, 2014
    Thanks again! Im loving this stuff...I'll be back soon! :) ....especially once I get my raspberry pi!

Ask a Question