Maker Pro
Maker Pro

Toroidal transformers

Metalmoto

Nov 13, 2014
I saved 2 nice toroidal transformers from a piece of industrial equipment, and I'm trying to find a good use for them.
The first smaller transformer has two white wires, this clearly indicates that they are the primary winding. The 5 other wires are different colors and are smaller gauge, indicating they are secondary winding taps. I was thinking of using this as a workbench power supply, with the taps supplying different voltages. (This transformer is basically unmarked, except for the company name and product number). It seems it was custom made for a particular purpose, and and I can not find the specs for it. The company that manufactured it is TransElectro in Denmark.
I imagine I could figure out the secondaries using an ohmmeter or hooking up the primary, and measuring the voltages between the secondary wires.

The second "larger" transformer is potted and in a metal case, but more clearly labeled with identification of the wires. This one seems to be a step down transformer with 2 secondaries.
The primary is labeled 220V/50HZ and the 2 secondaries are both labeled 110V/100VA.

The equipment that these were removed from, were operated on 220 Volts 60HZ in the U.S.
So I assume this transformer will operate equally as well on either 50 or 60 HZ?

Again, this transformer was made in Denmark by a company called Uveco. Again a special made transformer, as I can find no information about it on their website.

I wonder if this one could be used as an isolation transformer?
However, I'd like to use it for 120 volt 60 HZ operation.

Can anyone give me any suggestions on these? They seem like high quality toroidal transformers, and I'd like to put them to good use. Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:

Colin Mitchell

Aug 31, 2014
Get two identical 240v to 12v transformers and connect the 12v windings together. This will give you 240v and a small current capability. Connect the output to the primary of the toroid and measure the secondary voltages.
This is the safe, isolating way to test it.
Each kgm is about 50VA