Connect with us

Too much ripple on a UHF amplifier using JFET transistor

Discussion in 'Radio and Wireless' started by JohnJohnCat, Jan 18, 2019.

1. JohnJohnCat

JohnJohnCat

Jan 10, 2019
    Hello all.

I have implemented for first time an amplifier. It seems to work quite well, under my specification.
    But I am facing too much ripple.

It is the first (of two) stage of a 25dBm power amplifier with 787MHz cut-off frequency.
    The gain seems to work as expected but still pending to measure the output level and distorsion.
    Anyhow it introduces (I think) too much ripple that I would like to cancel before continuing the project.

Attached the PCB detail and the frequency response from a scalar network analyzer.
    Note the copper short-circuit was not there for the measurement.

Do you have any advise for me?

Thank you.
    Br.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 18, 2019
  2. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009

The ripple would probably be coming from the PSU
    Have you tried the amplifier on batteries ?

duke37 likes this.
  3. JohnJohnCat

JohnJohnCat

Jan 10, 2019
    Hello Davenn.

I think, as you say, it comes from the PSU. But not because of it; Just because a radiated interference couples on the DC cables.
    I say this because even having the PSU off (but connected), the intererence was there. At the moment of disconnecting the DC bananas the interference disapears. I think it could be the reason.

In attachment you can see the spectrum analyzer RF output. It is also present in the RF input, but atenuated.

I will check now how to remove it and hope the S21 paramenter becomes interesting.

Thank you!!
    Best regards.

Attached Files:

davenn likes this.
Ask a Question