Connect with us

Tinning

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by icor1031, Nov 13, 2013.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. icor1031

icor1031

Apr 27, 2010
  2. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    This is flux only. You need this if your solder does not contain flux. All electronics solders I've come across already conatin flux, so there's no need for an additional fluxer.

3. icor1031

icor1031

Apr 27, 2010
  4. Harald Kapp

Harald Kapp Moderator Moderator

Nov 17, 2011
    Sorry, no. I don't use this. Just ensure that you clean the tip of the iron before soldering e.g. on a wet sponge (as supplied with many soldering stations) and that you apply some tin after soldering to protect the tip of the iron. The water and some small amount of solder are the least expensice way of keeping the tip of the iron in good order for a long time.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  5. jpanhalt

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
    Actually, that material contains non-lead tinning metals:
    Capture.PNG

Here's a link to its MSDA: http://www.oatey.com/msds/SOL250E6_OATEY_NO_95_LEAD_FREE_TINNING_FLUX.pdf

Note that it contains zinc chloride, which is a component of the flux used in acid-core solder. If you use this "flux" for tinning a soldering tip for electronics, be sure to wipe the tip well afterwards. Most important, do not use that material as a soldering flux for electronics.

Edit: I use a Kester Tinning Block (Kester # 51-0000-0005) when my tip needs heavy cleaning. Usually a wet sponge, as mentioned, suffices. The Kester block is sal ammoniac (ammonium chloride). While there are similarities between zinc chloride and ammonium chloride, the latter evaporates completely when heated while the former does not. Both contain chloride, which you woudlwant to wipe off before using to solder electronics.

John

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  6. davenn

davenn Moderator

Sep 5, 2009
    BTW,
    Welcome to the Electronics Point Forums, jpanhalt :)

I am assuming the same one as from the Electro Tech forums ?
    tis good to have you aboard

cheers
    Dave

7. jpanhalt

jpanhalt

Nov 12, 2013
    @davenn
    Yep, same old guy. Thank you for the welcome.

John

Ask a Question