Connect with us

Timing Board

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by electrdave, Apr 2, 2010.

1. electrdave

electrdave

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi all,
    I have a timing board that sequences 9 separate 120v outputs. These outputs are normally off. The triacs used are NTE-5652's. I would like these outputs to be normally on and momentarily turned off instead. Any ideas which triacs to replace these with?

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    You need to change the timing. It is not something that is dependant on the triac.

3. electrdave

electrdave

Apr 2, 2010
    Hi Steve,
    I probably didn't give enough info first time. This board was originally used to fire off solenoids one at a time. All outputs are sequenced 1 at a time, on then off then on to the next one. How fast all are cycled through and how long each output is on depends on the adjustment of 2 pots. I want to use it for Halloween to make lights appear to 'blink' (like eyes). I could do the same by adding a relay to each output and using the N.C. side but wanted to avoid all the clicking sound. Hope this helps, Dave

Last edited: Apr 2, 2010
  4. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If it's designed to fire off solenoids one at a time then you'll have to change the design to make it turn things off one at a time.

A relay attached to each output is an option (but you have already indicated it is not your preferred option).

If you have a circuit diagram of the device, it *may* be possible to suggest modifications to change the way it works.

5. electrdave

electrdave

Apr 2, 2010
    No circuit diagram, I think I will just add relays as I don't want to risk damaging this board. I found some cheap ones at AllElectronics. Thanks for your help though.

6. Resqueline

Resqueline

Jul 31, 2009
    I just found out that there are Solid State Relays that have normally closed outputs, but the ones I found were for DC..
    It should be possible to build a normally closed triac triggering circuit though, with a transistor, resistor, capacitor, & diac.
    If your timer only supplies trigger pulses instead of steady DC it would complicate matters a little, but could still be done.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2010
  7. electrdave

electrdave

Apr 2, 2010
    Thank you, I will look into that

Ask a Question