Connect with us

Timer with piezo

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by mwoj, Oct 26, 2014.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. mwoj

mwoj

Oct 26, 2014
    I'll start by saying that I don't know anything about electronics but I would like to attempt making a "Quick Draw" shooting game, with your guys' help, of course. My plan would to be to have a timer that would be turned off when something hits a piezo transducer (?) so that it turns off. I'm not sure if I would want the timer to start randomly or not, it depends on how hard it is. I actually found an old archive of the exact same project, but I'm not sure how to follow it. Could someone explain what it means and what is required for the project? Thanks so much.

Project link: http://www.combatsheep.net/shooting/stop-plate.htm

2. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    If you're not planning to use a real gun we'd be glad to help.

Arouse1973 likes this.
  3. mwoj

mwoj

Oct 26, 2014
    Thanks, I was planning on using a nerf gun.

4. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    So do you want to press a button and then shoot which stops the timer or maybe an LED to indicate when to shoot? Do you want the time that has elapsed to be displayed and then the whole cycle repeats.
    Adam

5. mwoj

mwoj

Oct 26, 2014
    Sorry I didn't explain it so well, but an LED to indicate when to shoot would be perfect. Also, yes on the second part, I was planning to have it show the time elapsed and then there could be a way to reset it and repeat.

6. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Here's a little circuit that we could possibly use for the stop watch.
    Adam digital stopwatch schematic.JPG

7. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Ok and this we could possibly use as the trigger latch for the piezo. Then all we need is a way of delaying the clock pulse so you have time to get ready and then light the GO_LED. I have added an LED to the circuit so you know when it's triggered, either intentionally or in case you knock the sensor by mistake. Then use the reset push to make switch to reset the latch. The stop output will go to the STOP/START S2 of the circuit above.
    Adam

Piezo Trigger.JPG

8. mwoj

mwoj

Oct 26, 2014
    Wow thank you so much, I'll be back in a bit to ask a few questions.

9. (*steve*)

(*steve*) ¡sǝpodᴉʇuɐ ǝɥʇ ɹɐǝɥd Moderator

Jan 21, 2010
    Unfortunately the 74C926 is getting very hard to find.

You could probably program a microcontroller to do the same thing for a lower cost these days :)

If it's a quick-draw game, I'd have a sensor to only allow the game to start id the "gun" was holstered ans a requirement that it be out of the holster before a firing event could be triggered.

10. mwoj

mwoj

Oct 26, 2014
    I truly appreciate how much you guys are helping out. You guys have already done a lot for me, but I was wondering if anyone could direct me to a site that sells these parts? Thanks.

Edit: Maybe even a parts list? Thanks.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2014
  11. chopnhack

chopnhack

Apr 28, 2014
    You might want to update your profile to include whereabouts you live - for mains frequency and references to where you can purchase the parts. I found the 74C926
    but as Adam mentioned, the cost is kinda prohibitive and a PIC would be much cheaper if you are able to program it, etc. The part can also be found on E-Bay for about $8 USD. A comparable PIC would probably cost you ~$2-3.

KrisBlueNZ likes this.
  12. mwoj

mwoj

Oct 26, 2014
    Thanks!

13. mwoj

mwoj

Oct 26, 2014
    Ok so this is kind of last minute but could anyone possibly build this for me? If so, at what cost? Thanks.

14. Arouse1973

Arouse1973 Adam

Dec 18, 2013
    Hello

Where do you live? My personal preference is that Forums like EP should remain non commercial and I personally would not make any money out of people on EP. My advice on here is free and carries no guarantee. If I started to do work for people, if I had the time then this work would have to be guaranteed. It all starts to get messy.Other people on here might have a different opinion and that's fine.

What's the limiting factor here for you not building the circuit yourself? You could bread board all of this, so it's just getting the components and making connections. I will help you arrange this if you want but I can't do the work for you, sorry.

Adam

Ask a Question