Connect with us

Timer Switch For Ride ON toy

Discussion in 'General Electronics Discussion' started by Plcrocky, Nov 7, 2016.

Scroll to continue with content
  1. Plcrocky

Plcrocky

Nov 7, 2016
    Hello all...I am not going to pretend to be an electrical engineer or anything close. So I have come to the pros....HELP please. I want to convert a childrens 6V ride on train toy to a christmas decoration . To do so I want to be able to add a switch with a timer to it versus having to hold the on button down. Essentially I am trying to set it up to be able to run in intervals say every 15 minutes for 2-3 minutes at a time. What can I do?????

2. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    What power is available to the timer circuit?
    What is the max voltage and current the timer circuit has to control?

For anything over 1 minute, I strongly prefer an oscillator/counter chip to a timer chip like the 555. It's the same body count (number of components), but the accuracy/stability/repeatability is way better. The circuitcan be adjustable sorta like a 555 design, but the part lends itself to fixed-ratio designs. For example, 2 minutes on every 16 minutes would adjust down to 1.5 minutes on every 12 minutes. Does this sound like what you are after?

ak

3. Plcrocky

Plcrocky

Nov 7, 2016
  4. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    When the battery is powering the toy continuously, how long does one charge last?

ak

5. Plcrocky

Plcrocky

Nov 7, 2016
  6. Plcrocky

Plcrocky

Nov 7, 2016
    Probably in the 2 -3 hour range

7. AnalogKid

AnalogKid

Jun 10, 2015
    The max discharge current for a battery like that is around 10-12 A, so the circuit is the timer driving a 20 A logic level power MOSFET. Logic-level because a standard MOSFET likes around 10 V of gate "drive" (Vgs, the voltage from the gate to the source). 20 A because it always is best for semiconductors to operate at half (or less) of their rated whatever for long term reliability.

ak

8. Bluejets

Bluejets

Oct 5, 2014
    Could use a 555 timer module with built in relay off Ebay for maybe $3. Just add a momentry button to kick off the timer which will reset and turn off you motor in whatever adjustable time. Usually the modules cover seconds to 10-15 minutes.

Ask a Question